New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Combine several MP3s to one MP3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

Is there any way with the software that comes with OS X to take a load of MP3s and combine them into a single one? I have an audio book I've put on my mac that are ordered by number 001 - 050 and would like to make it one file - is that possible without any extra software?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
bmcgonag

bmcgonag will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram

Use Garageband...

open garageband, create a new music project, in bottom right corner of new project window click the plus sign...create a real instrument track.

Now drag the 1st mp3 of your book to that track, and make sure it is butted against the left edge of the track. Now do the same with the 2nd mp3, and butt it against the right edge of the 1st, and so on. Now export, Share this as an mp3.

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

there was an article in Macworld about how to join tracks in iTunes. when i get home i will post the info.

QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessfreap24 View Post
there was an article in Macworld about how to join tracks in iTunes. when i get home i will post the info.
That sounds very interesting. I would love to read it if you could find the article back!
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

I used MP3 Trimmer to do this awhile back (yeah, I know it's called MP3 Trimmer, but it also joins tracks). Probably easier than doing it manually in GarageBand.
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

kkelly122 is a jewel in the roughkkelly122 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP l iPhone l iPod

this is what was in mac world . its in the section "mind the gap" heres another link
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There are drawbacks to all the options above. First, it would be best to put the mp3's comprising your book into the Audiobooks folder. That way you don't have to worry about your book starting if you just want to listen to your music on shuffle play. Second, you want your books to be bookmarkable. Meaning, the next time you start listening to your book, it starts playing where you left off last time.

I just did a tutorial on this a couple of weeks ago and can be found here.

There are several other methods I found and tried. But this really was the easiest and fastest method at accomplishing the task.

I have two tutorials there. For what you want to accomplish, you will need Post # 1 & 3.
It does require "extra" software (all free).
These two tutorials are the result of reading through every link related to this matter on at least the first 5 pages of several google searches. I found no other step by step method on getting it done.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

Here's a simple shell script that I wrote for you:

#!/bin/sh

for SRC in $(ls *.mp3)
do
cat $SRC >> master.mp3
done

exit 0

1. Put it in a file saved as joinmp3.sh (or whatever...).
2. Open Terminal and type do chmod +x joinmp3.sh.
3. Move the shell script to the same directory as the mp3s.
4. Run it via Terminal by typing sh joinmp3.sh .
5. You'll end up with a final master.mp3 file.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is The web cam on my Imac worthless? | Multiple MSN sessions? »