New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Dock not minimizing!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Canadatron

Canadatron is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz 2 Gig Ram 120GB HD

Started up my macbook pro and the dock isn't minimizing now! What gives? How do I fix it? Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

don't know what you mean by not minimizing.
But, click on the Apple on the menu bar and go to 'Dock' - 'Dock Preferences'

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Do you have textpander installed?
QUOTE Thanks
Red Snapper

Red Snapper is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video

try option+apple+d
QUOTE Thanks
ShutUpandColor

ShutUpandColor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM 667MHz, 130GB HD

Sometimes mine would do that. The preferences for "hide when not in use" and "always shown" somehow would get mixed up and I'd have to change them once in a blue moon. Your system preferences ding-a-linger should provide relief.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

If you mean, you can't make it smaller. The separator bar that's beside the trash can, click on it and drag your mouse down ward.

This is the bar I'm talking about, excuse my trashcan icon

QUOTE Thanks
pavement

pavement is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same prob - I hit option+commad+d - The dock ducks a bit and then stays put. Only noticed this recently ??
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well I know that texpander has a bug that prevents the dock from hiding. It'll pop down and right back up again..
QUOTE Thanks
pavement

Ahh I'm using text expander - will have to check their site/forum
QUOTE Thanks
pavement

Just found this on Textexpander web site "My Dock won't hide when I use the Cmd + Opt + D shortcut. What happened?

The problem described here is a known bug in Mac OS X with Universal Access Keyloggers. When keyloggers are enabled, there is a problem with hiding and showing the Dock using cmd+option+D. This does _affect_ TextExpander, but it is not caused by TextExpander.

One of our users submitted a clever workaround. In the Keyboard & Mouse System Preferences, under the Keyboard Shortcuts tab, under "Dock, Exposé, and Dashboard", next to "Automatically hide and show the Dock", if you double-click the shortcut and change it to something other than cmd+option+D, you'll find that the dock will hide and show properly.

Rest assured, we have reported this bug to Apple, and we expect they'll fix it in a future release of Mac OS X."

Hope this helps....
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Ahh, textpander - I remember in my MS tech support days - having customers with perfectly fine working machines that would install a piece of software (especially AOL) and now something on the system doesn't work.

Any of the ones with lousy support (AOL again) would say it was a problem with the OS and call MS. Only as soon as their software was removed everything was back to normal again.

Am no coder myself, but I always figured anyone writing software should be writing it to work properly on the OS and not break the OS. Shouldn't be the responsibility of the OS to make changes to fix something that is broken by a single application.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Hmm, so TextPander doesn't cause the bug, but the bug only shows up when TextPander is installed. Hmm.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Eh, there's plenty of little annoying things that happen with Mac OS X. They happen to all computers with all operating systems. I don't hide my Dock, but various bits that usually show in my menu bar go missing from time to time. Just the other day I noticed my bluetooth indicator had gone away. Other days it's the little keyboard flag. I put them back.

Just an indicator that Software Update hasn't had any reason to restart in awhile, and most computers start getting crufty between reboots. Mac OS as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MY new switcher blog | isync phone plugins »