New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

safari browser not opening online banking sites....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

timdanyliw

timdanyliw is on a distinguished road

anyone else have an issue with safari not being able to open online banking site? I can load the inro page (CIBC.com) but safari craps out when I try to sign on. anyone else have this issue? any work arounds?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Try downloading Firefox or Camino and try it with one of those browsers.
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

My bank won't let me sign in with the Safari 3 beta (they say they need to test and approve a browser as secure before they'll allow you to use it), but I've never had a problem with Safari 2.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

IF you have the Safari Debug menu enabled, you can tell Safari to tell Websites that it is a different browser. This works 9 time out of 10.

I find it a bit ironic that Banks are questioning Safari 3 for security, but if you go to the site with IE 5 on a PC.....

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdanyliw View Post
anyone else have an issue with safari not being able to open online banking site? I can load the inro page (CIBC.com) but safari craps out when I try to sign on. anyone else have this issue? any work arounds?
With a lot of banks the browser has to be in their database or they will not allow you to log in to online banking. Wells Fargo is that way, but they do fully support Safari. I would check with your bank. In the mean time like was already stated, try Firefox or Camino for now. Opera should work also, but FF is usually always supported. The info above came from the IT people at Wells Fargo.

Edit: Agreed Baggss! Makes no sense. Some banks take their sweet time to add a browser though. Safari 2 should work. That Debug menu trick just might work.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And also might want to try logging in as a different user. Am not able to log into my bank at all and they fully support only Safari and IE. Found someone fairly knowledgeable with OS X on their support staff and a no go.

However, if I log out and and back in as a new user I set up, I can log in via Safari, Opera, and Firefox. Have not been able to determine what user settings I may have that are preventing it yet. And to be honest, as often as I log into the bank, it's not really worth the time of troubleshooting vs switching users.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Bobtomay: It might be a security certificate issue. Can you access other https:// websites with that user in Safari?

Try going to this website - can you load it?
https://www.equinux.com/eqnetwork/store/index.html
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

I just tried www.cibc.com and it works for me no problem (Safari 2). I also do a lot of online banking with 2 different banks, and they also work flawlessly as well.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Bobtomay: It might be a security certificate issue. Can you access other https:// websites with that user in Safari?

Try going to this website - can you load it?
https://www.equinux.com/eqnetwork/store/index.html
Yep, it loads fine. Haven't had any issue with secure check out at other sites either. My bank is the only one and have never been able to log onto it from my user account. My wife can log onto it from her MacBook also. Bound to be something I changed early on.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Check to see if you have disabled Java & Javascript in Safari Prefs.
No problems here online banking with Safari 3. Won't work without Java though

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Here too we do our online banking with Safari. The Tiger version, not the Safari 3 beta though.
QUOTE Thanks
SH7

SH7 is on a distinguished road

I have been having the same issue with Macbook pro. I cannot login to bank sites through Safari or Google Chrome from my default mac account. I am able to login to these bank sites from my Guest account. Not sure what settings I need to do. I have tried everything on resetting the safari totally. nothing worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
And also might want to try logging in as a different user. Am not able to log into my bank at all and they fully support only Safari and IE. Found someone fairly knowledgeable with OS X on their support staff and a no go.

However, if I log out and and back in as a new user I set up, I can log in via Safari, Opera, and Firefox. Have not been able to determine what user settings I may have that are preventing it yet. And to be honest, as often as I log into the bank, it's not really worth the time of troubleshooting vs switching users.
QUOTE Thanks
SH7

Thanks for your response. When I enter my user ID and password, it goes to secure pop up page and it stays white... Nothing loads up. Sometimes it says its loading and never does but stays white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You're responding to a thread from five years ago.

If you can login to your bank using Safari from a guest account, then the problem clearly isn't Safari (or Chrome), the problem lies with some plug-in you're using (maybe Flash?).

You'll also need to be more specific than "can't login" in explaining exactly what's stopping you if you want a detailed answer.
QUOTE Thanks
SH7

Thank you so much for your help! It definetly was the Flash Plugin! I cleared all the existing data and history in the flash plugin and now I can browse my bank websites like before. This really helped me!!! Thankss!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You're responding to a thread from five years ago.

If you can login to your bank using Safari from a guest account, then the problem clearly isn't Safari (or Chrome), the problem lies with some plug-in you're using (maybe Flash?).

You'll also need to be more specific than "can't login" in explaining exactly what's stopping you if you want a detailed answer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can my iMac read chosen (Highlighted) Text aloud to me? | So happy I made the switch! »