New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Uninstalling applications

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

artdog

artdog is on a distinguished road

What is the best way to uninstall an application? Obviously coming from windows this is something I think about.

I know I can just drag an app to the trash but will this always removed everything from my system?

Specifically I installed panic's pathfinder because I was looking for a way to have a windows explorer like interface. It has locked my system twice and totally crashed it twice. I want to get rid of it completely.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Side note: Path Finder is not a panic app, it's made by cocoatech.
Just sayin' - don't want to tarnish Panic's reputation, y'know?

The only files that are left are tiny .plist files that store your preferences and a receipt file that tells the system which version of an application is installed (to enable automatic updates and prevent duplicate installs).

Since path finder is closely tied in to the OS itself, there might be other files that were installed. Check to see if it comes with a deinstaller. If not you could try running an app such as 'appzapper' or one of the similar free alternatives to remove all additional files.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Sometimes, even the Appzapper won't remove all the files. In my opinion the best way to get rid of it is to manually remove all the files.(Finder might help you with that)
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I use AppZapper unless the application has its own uninstaller like Adobe apps for example.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

I use Apptrap It's similar to AppZapper, except it opens when you drag an application to the trash, I like this better, instead of having to open an application to delete something (like AppZapper)

Plus it's free!

QUOTE Thanks
mongoloido

mongoloido is on a distinguished road

http://reggie.ashworth.googlepages.com/

I use App Delete.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

An application icon is really a folder full of files, just as with Windows, so you are deleting a lot of stuff when you put it in the trash.
Other files are usually in users > name > library > preferences and library > preferences
QUOTE Thanks
artdog

artdog is on a distinguished road

Thanks. This forum is so much help to me. I never learned OSX that well before I was forced to switch to windows. I always like to know the ins and outs of my os.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« First macbook (wweeeeee) & system updates... | Great article! »