Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Mac Anxiety Issues
    Hello,
    I recently switched to Mac after having dealt with Windows for virtually all of my 22 years. I have a lot of knowledge of Windows, and how to fix them when they crash. I had so many problems with Windows that I didn't have a choice but to learn how to fix them. I now have had the Macbook for about 2.5 months and am constantly fearing the "crash" and fearing I will have no idea how to fix it. Is this a fear based on nothing? I have been downloading some apps and videos from Bitorrent, but I was told from a few little birds that Mac's don't usually get the same type of kiss-of-death viruses from DL'ing such things like Windows does. Please people, am I justified in this anxiety, or should I just relax?

Remain calm.....take a deep breath.....you are out of danger....you are in Mac country now............

Brooklyn431, i felt the same way 5 months ago. I just didn't feel i was in control when i was using my MBP, but my MBP controlling me. Eventually I learned to let go of some of my habits with my PC, and just enjoyed my experience with my MBP.

Specs:
    iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
    Thats not to say smoething can't go wrong.......Kernal Panic!!!!!!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
    MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/

Wow, I didn't realize I can actually relax! And I never would have thought someone else felt this same way. It's so weird, like being a PC user for so long has given people this fear about using a computer, like you're always waiting for doomsday to come. So sad, and thank God for Mac. Thanks guys, you're the 2am support group! Take it easy.

Specs:
    iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
    Make sure you get a program loike Onyx
    http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?...onyx&os=macosx

It will fix most issues that Macs suffer and keep it in tip top shape.
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
    MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/

Specs:
    15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
    I too have been scarred for life by windows, I've had zero problems with my mbp though. We're here if you need our help, enjoy the mac life.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Besides, if you do ever have a "crash", we're here to help

Specs:
    MacBook Pro
    Some people take this Windows fear a bit too far imo. Yes it crashes from time to time but most of the time it's just small errors (atleast with XP and Vista)
    Since XP came out I haven't had a major crash, ofcourse if you download malicious files and don't install a firewall nor a virus scanner, then your system will crash. Anyway I'm switching too though because I'm very curious about OS X and the iLife software, but not because I have problems with Windows. I think it depends on how you use it and what you download/install.
    It's a big plus ofcourse if you don't have to install any security software on a Mac because there are no virusses, spyware, etc. (or is there?)

Specs:
    13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
    Yh When i was using windows, i found i hard to get viruses, so i guess its how you use your pc.

The whole virus and spyware thing with XP and vista is more of a marketing gimmick to make you buy security software and buy the next version of windows because of the 'enhanced' security features.

Specs:
    White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sennec View Post
    Some people take this Windows fear a bit too far imo. Yes it crashes from time to time but most of the time it's just small errors (atleast with XP and Vista)
    Since XP came out I haven't had a major crash, ofcourse if you download malicious files and don't install a firewall nor a virus scanner, then your system will crash. Anyway I'm switching too though because I'm very curious about OS X and the iLife software, but not because I have problems with Windows. I think it depends on how you use it and what you download/install.
    It's a big plus ofcourse if you don't have to install any security software on a Mac because there are no virusses, spyware, etc. (or is there?)
    Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MaDDoG View Post
    Make sure you get a program loike Onyx
    http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?...onyx&os=macosx

It will fix most issues that Macs suffer and keep it in tip top shape.
    Could you give a little insight to Onyx. How often do you use it? What do you have it do? When do you use it? That sort of thing. I've downloaded it, but am not quite sure what to do with it now that I have it. Could you just tell us what you like to do with it? Cheers.

Specs:
    20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
    i never had this fear, but then BOOM!

Blue screen of death!

So i turned my pc off and went on my Mac instead

Specs:
    Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    The problem is that you install Win XP with no service packs and as soon as you connect to the internet, you immediately get attacked by malicious programs. You can't even get to the AVG site or the Microsoft site to get updates before the machine is brought to its knees.

Service Packs 1 and 2 are better, but the problem is that you have a fundamentally flawed operating system which relies on patches to make it safe.

And lo and behold, Vista is just Windows XP with a service pack 3. Instead of a secure operating system from the inside out, you have things like 'Windows Defender'. It should be immune from everything and the user should not be aware of any security patches or packs or add-ons. They had the chance to create an OS from scratch (as Apple did in the years before 2001, albeit utilising UNIX) so it's a shame they didn't take it.

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    (as Apple did in the years before 2001, albeit utilising UNIX) so it's a shame they didn't take it.
    Actually, Apple bought much of what became OSX after failing to build a new OS from scratch. The BSD Unix underpinning were purchased along with NeXT (and Steve Jobs) and both were what ultimately became OSX. Very little of the footwork for either was done by Apple until the folks that had created them (or worked on them) became Apple employees.

To be fair to MS, they at least got a new OS out the door that they developed in-house, Apple had to turn to the outside to get the basics for OSX, and even then they almost didn't go with NeXT (which is a somewhat inferior system compared to Be, or it was at the time), but Be simply overpriced themselves out of the competition.

Thread Information