New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

help wanted on reformatting my external HDD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

citystar2k

citystar2k is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.

Hi, i decided to reformat my Lacie 160G external hard drive tonight as it was in the ntfs formatand i wanna use it for video editing with my PowerBook. I've followed the exact instructions for reformatting with disk utility, but how long will it take before the hard drive is reformatted? the blue indicator bar showing how far the creating map partition is, doesnt seemed to have moved in the last two hours, but the hard drive is whirring away. I just hope i wont have messed up this and that somebody will tell me how long it takes to do 160Gigs.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Just let is go, it is a slow process, as you are finding out.

Just be patient.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
citystar2k

ok, i will be patient enough, but the rate it's going at it'll take a good while. Is it ok for my Powerbook to put itself to sleep while the reformatting is going on?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

The system it self will not go to sleep, but the screen will. Just make sure your powerbook is plugged in.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
citystar2k

ok,thanks a lot for that, it's past 1am here in the UK, and i'm tired. Hopefully when i wake up i will have got somewhere with the reformatting.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

When you get up in the morning, your system should be resting also.

QUOTE Thanks
citystar2k

i was just wondering why it takes a while to reformat. When i first bought it was in the hfs format, and when i reformatted it to ntfs, it took maybe 2hours. I'm so glad of forums like this, whatever question i've posted, somebody's always came through for me.
QUOTE Thanks
citystar2k

ok, nothing has happened with the external hard drive after 8 hours, disk utility is still running, the external hdd is still whirring away, i cant believe it takes this long, what's gone wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
citystar2k

oh well, it did reformat but for some reason disk utility just sat there making me think nothing had happened at all. So i close the program, couldnt see if it had worked properly, for some strange reason opened up disk utility again, ran first aid on it, and voila, my hard drive appeared onto my desktop. I hope somebody could let me know what's happened in the first place.
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

it takes so long because you probably have chosen to "write zero" or "random 8 times overwrite". just leave the chek boxes unchecked and it will take 1 minute.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

What I have found the latest version of disk utility does not have the warning bell when any task is complete, like the older version under 10.2 had. So a lot of time the task is done, but you don't know until you go back and check the application.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Woohoo!!! | burning files onto cd-r/dvd-r »