New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Advice for current Windows user looking to switch...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chris4

chris4 is on a distinguished road

To wait for leopard or not to wait, this is the question.

OK, so my Windows system finally just died. I've got the IT guy at work trying to atleast retrieve my personal files. And I've been planning on holding out switching to Mac til October when leopard is released. But now that my other PC is dead, and I'm stuck using a POS laptop, I'm wondering if the wait is really necessary and/or worth it.

My concern was that waiting meant I get leopard, but also a computer updated in many other ways. Who knows whats going to be on the leopard machines?? Not me, never been too smart on computers anyway.

So, should I wait. Or should I get a Mac now, and then just upgrade the OS when leopard comes out?

Any advice would be sooooooo appreciated. My last few months of computer dealings have been a nightmare with spyware and Trojan Horses on my Windows unit....which ultimately led to its death...along w/ old age (7yrs old).

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
jaline

jaline is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM

If you need it now, buy it now.
QUOTE Thanks
chris4

chris4 is on a distinguished road

OK well disregard my question. After doing a simple search on the subject, it seems the question has been asked all too often, with numerous replies. Looks like I'll try to talk to wife into going to the Apple store this weekend and purchasing an iMac 20". Besides, its gonna take a bit of getting used to these infamous "keyboard shortcuts". Sounds frightening, but only because I'll have to teach them to the wife, who doesn't quite have the patience I do.

So no need to respond, unless ya just really feel like I'm headed the wrong direction.

Great forum btw.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4 View Post
Besides, its gonna take a bit of getting used to these infamous "keyboard shortcuts". Sounds frightening, but only because I'll have to teach them to the wife, who doesn't quite have the patience I do.

So no need to respond, unless ya just really feel like I'm headed the wrong direction.

Great forum btw.
Oh I dunno. Six months after I got my first Mac, I bought a Mac for my wife. I spent about 30 minutes showing her the basics then stood back to wait for the inevitable flood of questions.

There were no questions. The nature of Mac OS X is that you can pretty much figure out how to do everything you need to, and that is precisely what she did.
QUOTE Thanks

651 is on a distinguished road

Yes - Search is key in forums

Good luck with your new mac, and remember it will take a while to get used to, but well worth the wait.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4 View Post
...I've got the IT guy at work trying to atleast retrieve my personal files....
The IT guy where I work (a cubicle over from mine) often gets stuck with these sorts of side jobs. I pity him sometimes.
Quote:
...waiting meant I get leopard, but also a computer updated in many other ways. Who knows whats going to be on the leopard machines??
In my experience, Apple doesn't synchronize its new hardware and software releases. For the most part, Apple puts out new hardware when it's available, and new software when its done. Except for the Macworld conferences (which, lately, have been more like iPodworld conferences) product releases fall where they may.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Display | Getting a new Macbook Pro, OS question »