New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

DMG file assistance

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wendy1208

wendy1208 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place so I apologise if I'm not

I have a downloaded DMG file that I need to put on a disc.

1. I use a PC not a Mac
2. It is a program for a Mac user
3. Can I have an idiot guide if possible please

Thank you so much

Wendy
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

I don't think any PC will read/recognize the .dmg format. Just e-mail the file to the mac user, and have them burn it to disc (or better yet, just mount it...it's a Mac thing).

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
wendy1208

wendy1208 is on a distinguished road

Hi

Thanks for the swift response.

I can't email it as its over 2GB
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

As a windows user, you can't mount it. Windows might let you just burn it to a CD, but I think that's the only thing you CAN do with it other than try to e-mail it or transfer it over AIM.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
Macwillis

Macwillis is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram

get macdrive its a 5day free trial give that a go. i use it and it works fine . opens dmg's as folders and you can burn them.
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

Or if the person is close, you could put it on an external hard, the mac can read (only) it.
QUOTE Thanks
Macwillis

just use macdrive then you can burn it onto a dvd/cd and send it if needs be
QUOTE Thanks
Interstellar

Interstellar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM 320GB HD, 15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4GB RAM 320 GB HDD

Can't you just burn a Data DVD and mount it on the Mac from the disc
QUOTE Thanks
Macwillis

no but you can burn the dmg using macdrive .
or burn the files in the dmg as a normal data dvd and then create a image from the data on the mac and do it that way.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I just tried this and it worked perfectly. I made a .DMG on my iMac with Disk Utility and put in a HD Movie Trailer. Network copied it to my XP Box. Made a ZIP of it on the PC in XP. Network copied the .zip back to the iMac. Expanded the .ZIP and there was the .DMG. Mounted it and played the HD trailer.
QUOTE Thanks
Macwillis

but if your not on the same network thats pointless.

zip up the dmg and burn ot to a normal dvd ( of it will fit)
or archive it and split it into parts and split the files over 2 dvds and then copy the parts to the mac and theres a program you cna use to rejoin them. ill walk you through it if you need help.

what program is it if you dont mind me asking.
most mac apps will fit onto one dvd ( that i have used anyways) only one i know of that wont is leopard and apature which will need dual layer dvd.

try burning the dmg onto the dvd/dl as a file
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Never Mind.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macwillis View Post
but if your not on the same network thats pointless.
The network has nothing to do with it. What dtravis7 did would work just fine. He only pointed out that he used a network connection to get the file from a Windows machine to transfer the zipped file back to a Mac for uzipping and mounting. This same process would have worked if he put the zip file on a disc to transfer it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Macwillis

yeah but if the zipped file is better then a normal dvd
QUOTE Thanks
Interstellar

Interstellar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM 320GB HD, 15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4GB RAM 320 GB HDD

Macwillis,

If you could send a step by step using your method of taking a.dmg off of a Data DVD to mount it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buying online vs. in Apple Store | Does any other switchers get frustrated learning OSX? »