Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Oct 24, 2006
    Posts
    95
    Buying online vs. in Apple Store
    So I am looking to upgrade in a few months and my g/f is thinking about getting an iMac as well. I have been doing some thinking lately, is there any advantage to buying a Mac in the Apple Store in a say, a mall, rather than ordering it online?

    From what I can gather, if your purchase has free shipping you save a bunch of money because you don't pay sales tax that you would pay in the store. The only downside seems to be that you have to wait for your item to get shipped to you and of course risk it getting damaged (which would mean you have to send it back).

    Am I missing something?

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Jan 01, 2007
    Location
    Cow Town, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,988
    Specs:
    PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
    Yeah, there's 1 benefit.

    You don't have to stand up and go there, you can just sit and do it.

  3. #3

    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by MattSharp View Post
    if your purchase has free shipping you save a bunch of money because you don't pay sales tax that you would pay in the store.
    If your state has a sales tax, then it is still charged to online sales on the Apple Store.

    It all comes down to whichever one (online or in-store) is more convenient for the buyer.
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  4. #4

    Eric559's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 18, 2007
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,185
    Specs:
    2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattSharp View Post
    So I am looking to upgrade in a few months and my g/f is thinking about getting an iMac as well. I have been doing some thinking lately, is there any advantage to buying a Mac in the Apple Store in a say, a mall, rather than ordering it online?

    From what I can gather, if your purchase has free shipping you save a bunch of money because you don't pay sales tax that you would pay in the store. The only downside seems to be that you have to wait for your item to get shipped to you and of course risk it getting damaged (which would mean you have to send it back).

    Am I missing something?
    I'm pretty sure you're going to pay some sales tax when you go to the store. I think the advantage of buying it in store is being able to take it home right then and there. You don't have to wait for it to be shipped to you.

  5. #5

    Sandwichman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 18, 2006
    Posts
    238
    Specs:
    iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
    Sales tax is charged online if the company has a retail store in your state. So the sales tax point is moot. At the retail store you can take it home then and there- instant satisfaction!
    Sitting, waiting, wishing...

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Jul 05, 2007
    Posts
    502
    If you're looking to avoid sales tax try MacMall. I've purchased both of my Macs from them. Not only did I save on the sales tax, I got rebates too!

  7. #7

    Shannonb's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 29, 2007
    Posts
    748
    Specs:
    2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
    Buy refurbished, Save hundreds.

  8. #8

    Aaagogo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 23, 2007
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Posts
    111
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
    2nd that of buying refurbished.

    the only thing i can think of about buying in the shop is that you get to play with a few different kinds "live" to better make your decisions.
    No Photographer is as good as the simplest camera.

    Currently Under Intensive Photoshop training... www.lynda.com

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Jul 18, 2007
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwichman View Post
    Sales tax is charged online if the company has a retail store in your state. So the sales tax point is moot. At the retail store you can take it home then and there- instant satisfaction!
    Actually, it only requires a retail PRESENCE, so if there is an authorized reseller, or in the case of apple any store that sells iPods, in your state, the online store will charge tax. That would be in all states that have a state sales tax for those counting.

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Jul 19, 2007
    Posts
    4
    I bought mine at CompUSA, they sell for the same price, and I got 6months of no interest on their CC...

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Jul 13, 2007
    Posts
    50
    Specs:
    24-inch iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 1 TB HD, 4 GB RAM
    I was told in the Apple store by the sales guy that they only sell the "stock" computers through the store. If I want to configure my own, say with more memory or a larger hard drive, I have to order online.

  12. #12

    jaline's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 18, 2007
    Location
    Ottawa, On
    Posts
    165
    Specs:
    White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
    I added extra stuff to mine and used the education discount. So my main (or only) option was the online store.

  13. #13


    Member Since
    Jun 17, 2007
    Posts
    15
    you can get the education discount at the store as well.

  14. #14

    swagfndr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 29, 2007
    Location
    Laguna Heights CA
    Posts
    3
    Specs:
    15" MBP 2gig Ram 160gig HD---80gig ipod (full)---8gig iphone
    Quote Originally Posted by AZRunner View Post
    I was told in the Apple store by the sales guy that they only sell the "stock" computers through the store. If I want to configure my own, say with more memory or a larger hard drive, I have to order online.
    That is true. I ordered my MBP online while in the store and it shiped to my house in 3-4 days
    Don't Be "That" Guy

  15. #15


    Member Since
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location
    Sammamish, WA
    Posts
    34
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz 2GB Ram
    Cool Use Macmall
    If the company you purchase from has a presence in your state you pay sales tax

    I bought mine in WA state Mac Mall does not have a presence here so no tax
    and a rebate

    If I went to the store 8.9%

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Apple online store
    By astonyap in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 11:30 PM
  2. Buy at Apple Store vs. Apple Online Store
    By musicvortex in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-27-2007, 10:36 PM
  3. Apple Online Store versus Apple Store
    By userofreality in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-02-2006, 11:45 AM
  4. b&m Apple Store vs Apple Store online
    By elocs in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2005, 12:12 AM
  5. apple store or online
    By emoglitterati in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 02:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •