New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Omg I Broke It I Need Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hellerphant

Hellerphant is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.16ghz, 1gb Ram, 120gb Hdd|iBook- 800mhz, 512Ram, 30gb HDD

Hey guys

Seems I've landed in a spot of trouble. I formatted my mac and now it just goes to the boot screen, has the circle spinning with the grey background and sits there. It also won't let me eject the cd

can anyone help me?
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Is this your MacBook? You formatted the hard drive, yes? You were intending to wipe your system?

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Need to go to bed shortly so I'll be offline, though some of the other nocturnal members may be able to assist. Until then, here are a couple hints.

Sounds as if you reformatted your MacBook hard disk. What you have now is a blank system - tabula rasa. There are other words to describe it, but they're not allowed on M-F.

Use Google to find out how to eject the CD, or search the forums here. You're not the first to have done this. I know there's a way to eject it, but I don't know exactly what it is.

If indeed you formatted your hard drive, you need to reinstall everything to return to a working computer. You'll need the installation media - DVDs - to do this. The owners manual should tell you how to do this. If not, just go to the Apple website to find out how to do it. Frankly you should be able to simply insert the first DVD and follow the instructions.

The horrible bottom line is that if you really did reformat your hard drive, everything you had is gone. Recovery of anything on the drive is essentially impossible, short of having LOTS of money.

Good luck to you. I'll be online in about 7 hours or so. Hope things go well for you.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
Ge64

Ge64 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM

It sounds to me as if you intended to clear your computer by formatting it. Just use the recovery DVDs to put Mac OS X back on the hard disk.

www.endlessparadigm.com - forum for fun people

Irssi, client of the future
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Try rebooting your system, then press and hold the click button on your track pad. That should eject the CD or DVD that is in the drive. As everyone has suggested you will need your recovery disk in order to re-install the OS on your now OS less system.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« On my new MBP right now! | Thank you all, and Curse you all!!! »