New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

kernel attacks?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

otjatt

otjatt is on a distinguished road

I am pretty new to mac, and have finally experienced my first set of Kernel attacks! I had gotten one a week ago, and had just got two consecutive ones about 20 minutes ago....and for some reason they all happened when i was connected to the wireless network at my university.....my question is that if this is something i should really be worried about and contact apple about....because i think i read somewhere on this forum that it could be caused by certain hardware such as a faulty network card?

15" MBP 2.16GHz C2D 2GB RAM 120GB--30GB iPod--8GB Nano--Canon Rebel XT w/ Canon 17-85mm USM IS, 50mm f/1.8--Canon SD870 IS
QUOTE Thanks
mcnees287

mcnees287 is an unknown at this point

You where attacked by giant kernals of popcorn?
QUOTE Thanks
Sandwichman

Sandwichman will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD

I believe you mean kernel panics. I, personally, do not know if they could be a sign of hardware failure.

Sitting, waiting, wishing...
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Yes, panics. And they do indeed usually mean that there is something wrong with some hardware or other.

However, at the same time, I've had five of them off and on with my Macbook since buying it, and none since the last one which was something on the order of 4 months ago, with continuous use. So unless they start happening really frequently, and point to the same type of hardware, I wouldn't start, uh, panicing yet.

Mine did happen when I was doing a lot of switching between many different wireless networks, but they mostly referenced USB type stuff. So it's a mystery.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

There has been some talk in the last couple of weeks of that occurring. Macbooks and MBPs seem to have connections problems and even crashing issues. I haven't noticed it on my system and it doesn't seem like every owner has the issue.

This switcher is very upset. Further down in that thread you'll find a post by me regarding a possible fix.
QUOTE Thanks
otjatt

otjatt is on a distinguished road

yesss...thats exactly what i meant....lol...yes...panics!
lol

hmmmm yea it is a bit of a pain in the neck when i wanna get online at university...:S

15" MBP 2.16GHz C2D 2GB RAM 120GB--30GB iPod--8GB Nano--Canon Rebel XT w/ Canon 17-85mm USM IS, 50mm f/1.8--Canon SD870 IS
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« issues with superdrive firmware update? | On my new MBP right now! »