Thread: Gaming on Mac

Gaming on Mac
    Just a simple question really but what games apart from ones made by blizzard run on Mac without having to use bootcamp/windows? Also will there be any more big games titles released in a dual format so mac users donít need to have windows to game?

Specs:
    15" MBP SR 2.2GHz
    If you haven't already bought a mac, i would not recommend doing so if you main use for it would be playing games. There will always be a significant gap and time delay between the PC and mac releases of any game worth buying, so if you want a serious games machine, i would recommend someone like alienware

Specs:
    iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
    Epic has announced that they're releasing some good stuff for Mac, namely Gears of War and UT3. ID's unnamed project for PS3, Xbox360 and PC is also coming to Mac. And EA's releasing C&C: Tiberium wars sometime this year, in addition to some other titles (that aren't really that good)

Specs:
    iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
    I heard that the next Quake will be made for PC and Mac
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
    MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    The best site for finding games for the Mac. Have links to just about every thing.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Or search on amazon for mac games.

EA announced that it will be releasing future games on the mac as the same time as the rest of the systems....but they forgot to tell everyone that they're going to be running on an emulator and won't be coded to run natively...I mean, how hard can it be when they're already doing it for other systems...

typical ea stuff though...

If you want to latest and greatest, go PC. If you're just looking for some entertainment here and there, there should be enough games to suffice.
    Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

Specs:
    IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
    -I dont think it being emulated will have any effect on the performance next to a windows box

The decrease in performance caused by the emulation on mac will probably equal the decrease in performance of running a game nativley on windows (due to its badly written os)

Diana F+
    HOLGA 135
    Actionsampler

Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by shmendall View Post
    -I dont think it being emulated will have any effect on the performance next to a windows box

The decrease in performance caused by the emulation on mac will probably equal the decrease in performance of running a game nativley on windows (due to its badly written os)

Except most games are written for windows and written to perform natively with direct X and all the drivers and such, leaving emulation just another step in the process and just another thing to slow you down, regardless of how much bias you have towards one OS or the next.

Then again, Apple doesn't usually put a top of the line graphics cards in their machines, even when they're available, leaving their users having to wait until a line refresh before they have anything that will compete with some of the "normal" graphics card offerings out there.

Example? m 8600gt mobile card they just upgraded their MBP's to use. Plus they still don't have a DX 10 compatible card in any of their desktops yet...not unless they just added one to teh MBP that no one knows about...

Macs are not high performance gaming machines. They'll run games just fine, but if you want top of the line, drop $2k+ and build yourself a liquid cooled windows box that'll will all the new games, sans emulation...
    Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

Specs:
    15" MBP SR 2.2GHz
    I think Village Idiot is right.
    You have to way up for yourself what is most important to you; gaming or everything else. If you are really into your games, then you can spend your money on something which is designed to play them.

Can you play PC games while booted to Windows XP? I am about 80% decided on on a MBP, but I am still feeling it out.

*by the way...I am new here.

Specs:
    20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammondc View Post
    Can you play PC games while booted to Windows XP? I am about 80% decided on on a MBP, but I am still feeling it out.

*by the way...I am new here.
    you can do everything you can do on a normal XP machine like that. it IS a normal XP machine.

I thought so. Just making sure.

Thanks a bunch.

Thread Information