New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

My Experience Switching

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ac3smith

ac3smith is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook w/ 2.16GHz Duo & 2GB RAM

I used mac-forums when I was trying to decide on whether to stick to Windows machines or get a Mac, so I thought I'd post my experience. Sorry it's long, but might be useful for a switcher.

First off, I am 27 and have used Windows (3.1, 95, 98, 2000, NT, XP, 2003, Vista) for about 15 years. I am a Network Admin/Support for a medium sized company using Microsoft and AIX products. I also used several Linux flavours during college. My only Mac experience to date was in middle school and for a short period in math classes during college.

My first inclination to buy a Mac was that I spend all day looking at Windows machines and for that reason, I tend to avoid using a computer at home. The other is that I wanted a small (PORTABLE) notebook with simple features that worked without hassle.

Here's what I wanted: A notebook PC that was compact and portable. I could put it in a bag and pull it out to check e-mail whenever I wanted and surf the web if I was bored. I could load all of my pictures and put them in an e-mail or put them on the web. I could close it up, put it in the bag, and the next time I opened it up I'd be back where I started and do it all over again.

My last PC was a toshiba laptop with XP. It has been a great computer, but due to size and battery length it has not moved much from my desk in 3 years. My girlfriend has a dell inspiron that seems to work well, but it just doesn't have the build quality I'm looking for. I tested a macbook and one of our old employees had an ibook that he raved about. I was pleased with the interface and functionality.

So, I decided on a macbook because of it's size and upgraded the ram to make sure it would last a while. A macbook pro would have been the choice had it been offered in the smaller case (I wanted small). I found PCs in the same configuration to be equally or more expensive. Therefore, I bought it.

The Good:

Portable... yes. I love that. No problem taking this thing anywhere. My Verizon phone tethers perfectly via bluetooth on the outside chance that I can't find wifi. The apps work, iSight is fun to play with and functional when I want to take a quick picture of something and get it out. NeoOffice is installed and I haven't used it because I mostly do my personal word processing/spreadsheets with Google Documents. Gimp is the same as it always has been, so I'm happy with that. iChat handles all of my chatting needs (AIM/Google Talk). Iphoto does a great job organizing my photos. Dashboard is fun sometimes, but I don't care a lot about it. The battery lasts more than as long as I could need it.

The Bad:

Well, I've had a few application errors that got on my nerves. Apps occasionally hang and misbehave, but usually a software update or restarting the machine after installing will take care of them. I don't see anything that leads me to believe it's a hardware fault. I have had no persistent problems. The black book does take a lot of fingerprints, but they don't seem to bother me any more (blend together?). The keyboard shortcuts are taking time to get used to versus the windows versions, too... that's about it.

Conclusion:

I'm a tech junkie and a very busy person who rarely sits in the same place for very long. This macbook has been a great addition to my arsenal. I'm glad I decided on it versus a Windows PC that I would probably have gotten tired of by now. This is exactly what I wanted.

That's my experience!

-
Andy
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Glad it was a good experience, Andy! I'm sure you'll get used to the shortcuts and they will be come second nature to you just like Windows. I'm happy that you are pleased with the Macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
ac3smith

Well, I've used to many computers in my life, I know it's a matter of getting used to this or that. The bottom line is that I dropped a decent chunk of money on a little black box and I have no regrets. The shortcuts are a minor issue.
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

Good to hear more satisfied OSX users. Welcome to mac-forums!

QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

SoundsGood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac3smith View Post
I'm a tech junkie and a very busy person who rarely sits in the same place for very long. This macbook has been a great addition to my arsenal.
Andy, I'm still a PC guy, but thinking about making "the switch."

Question: do you ever find the Macbook to be heavy for its size? Being an ex-PC guy you probably know there are other 13.3" laptops as light as 3.7 lbs (vs. the Macbook's 5.1 lbs).

Just curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cheez

cheez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb

I had the same thing in my mind when i was thinking to buy a Mac.
I wanted something different and as everybody says something more stable.
Now im in love with my MBP but still tryin to figure out how to do some things, but im fine with it, its fun to got a new OS
Im happy that ur switching was good. Im sure u gonna love it, if ur not already done that ^^

Everything Happens For A Reason That Serves You...
QUOTE Thanks
Fatboydim

Fatboydim is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Have to say very happy on my MBP - and my first computer was an Atari - How sad is that?

In fact the 15" MBP is so good compared to my desktop that I prefer to run xp in parallels VM than on the native system [Mind you I do have the dreadfull P4 3,6ghz Prescott]

I've had my machine for around two weeks now and I'm finding that I'm double tapping instead of right clicking when I then change to my son's Vaio.
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboydim View Post
Have to say very happy on my MBP - and my first computer was an Atari - How sad is that?
You want sad? My first PC was a TRS-80.

QUOTE Thanks
-Jack

-Jack can only hope to improve

omg at above HeHe what is that thing?
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jack View Post
omg at above HeHe what is that thing?
It's a Tandy / Radio Shack TRS-80.

Sold at Radio Shack (a long, long time ago ) it was one of the first mass-produced (and mass-sold) personal computers.
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

Just for kicks, here's the Apple machine that the TRS-80 competed against (the Apple II):

QUOTE Thanks
Aubie16

Aubie16 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD

I had an apple II gs! that was my last apple computer before this macbook.

Its good to be back!
QUOTE Thanks
ac3smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post
Andy, I'm still a PC guy, but thinking about making "the switch."

Question: do you ever find the Macbook to be heavy for its size? Being an ex-PC guy you probably know there are other 13.3" laptops as light as 3.7 lbs (vs. the Macbook's 5.1 lbs).

Just curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
The weight doesn't really bother me any. I've used a few tablets and were impressed at how light they were, but the extra pounds on the macbook doesn't make much different to me.

Yes, from the windows world this is heavy for a 13 inch laptop, but it isn't prohibitive to anything that I do (and I usually take it with me, in a case).

-
Andy
QUOTE Thanks
ac3smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboydim View Post

In fact the 15" MBP is so good compared to my desktop that I prefer to run xp in parallels VM than on the native system [Mind you I do have the dreadfull P4 3,6ghz Prescott]

I've had my machine for around two weeks now and I'm finding that I'm double tapping instead of right clicking when I then change to my son's Vaio.
Amen, I caught myself double tapping on a Dell laptop today... I like the doubletap!

-
Andy
QUOTE Thanks
crispy

crispy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac

Glad to hear you're enjoying your mac. I got an imac two weeks ago, breaking up my twenty-year marriage to microsoft. I love my mac.

My first computer:
Timex Sinclaire 1000 (1983).

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/...asp?st=1&c=477

Second computer:
Apple 600/800 xl

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/....asp?st=1&c=27

Check the specs on these things. The Timex didn't even have a hard-drive!

'Dark Puppy of the Apocalypse'
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New iTunes update and Front Row problem | Got my macbook pro this morning! »