New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Ext. Hard drive convert from Windows to Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alpimac99

alpimac99 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16 Core 2 Duo 120g, Power Mac Quicksilver 2002ED , 160gb iPod Classic, 8gb 3 iPhone

I have an 160g WD My book that has about 90g of pictures that I edited using my old windows pc that I don't wanna lose. I'm just wondering what would be my options in saving this and reformatting the drive and putting these files back on it under the mac format???
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

Is the HD in FAT or NTFS Format? Mac's can read both but only write to FAT so if its FAT you're fine, if its NTFS I think you can transfer everything to your Mac, re-format the HD to FAT and then put everything back... I could be wrong though.

shameless plug for my blog
QUOTE Thanks
alpimac99

alpimac99 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16 Core 2 Duo 120g, Power Mac Quicksilver 2002ED , 160gb iPod Classic, 8gb 3 iPhone

it is ntfs.... wanna reformat it to mac os journaled hfs+
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Buy another drive, copy everything over via your Mac. When your'e convinced it is OK, reformat the old drive and use it as a backup drive. After all, you did say that you don't want to loose those pictures, right.
QUOTE Thanks
Ge64

Ge64 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM

youre going to have to save all the pictures somewhere else temporarily, maybe on your mac or on another drive

www.endlessparadigm.com - forum for fun people

Irssi, client of the future
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Updgrade to Tiger... going bad! | Scrolling »