New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

first mac , i'm not pleased

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lilmill

lilmill is on a distinguished road

Well i finally made the plunge and bought a 17 with the hires screen and 7200 rpm drive. First off the thing looks awsome, but thats where the good news ends. Since I got it last night i've gotten the restart message about 4 times when your screen goes grey from top to bottom and tell you to restart. And the internet sucks on it safari takes a long time to load and I couldnt even post this message from the mbp it keeps on hanging the progress bar goes to the end of the http in the addess then just sits there.I thought these were soposed to be rock solid I paid and arm and a leg, and got a turd in return.
QUOTE Thanks
mongoloido

mongoloido is on a distinguished road

return it for a replacement immediately. defective products happen. it sucks, but that's how it goes sometimes.
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

DoubleCap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmill View Post
Well i finally made the plunge and bought a 17 with the hires screen and 7200 rpm drive. First off the thing looks awsome, but thats where the good news ends. Since I got it last night i've gotten the restart message about 4 times when your screen goes grey from top to bottom and tell you to restart. And the internet sucks on it safari takes a long time to load and I couldnt even post this message from the mbp it keeps on hanging the progress bar goes to the end of the http in the addess then just sits there.I thought these were soposed to be rock solid I paid and arm and a leg, and got a turd in return.
That's weird about your Safari. It shouldn't happen like that. Anyway, try software update, but that doesn't give the MBP an excuse to be slow. It (software update) might help.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

It looks more like a hardware defect, unless you didn't delete any system files. Just return it and get a new one.
QUOTE Thanks
lilmill

well tech supp recomended a reinstall so I will try that befor taking back. I was kind of shocked they even had this model in stock. I don't want to wait 4 week for a new one.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicew View Post
It looks more like a hardware defect, unless you didn't delete any system files. Just return it and get a new one.
You should not have to reinstall and should not have to wait 4 weeks for a replacement. If you have just got it last night, take it back to where you bought it and demand a new one.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
techmonkey

techmonkey is on a distinguished road

like others say, its sounds like a defect for sure. You may want to try a fresh install if you dont want to go through the hassle of a return. Bad installs happen, and you could be missing critical files.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Return it and get a new one. If you got it at an Apple store they will do it with no complaints when you explain what happens.

What happened is called a kernel panic and is extremely rare. To have it happen four times in a day must mean a defect. I've had my iMac since April and I've never had a kernel panic.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Kernel panics are almost always indicative of a malfunctioning or defective hardware component (it's usually RAM but it can be something else). Take it back pronto.

Call AppleCare first thing so they can open a ticket with your user number and insist gracefully on getting a replacement. And tell them you need it as soon as possible.

To me, this is a DOA MacBook Pro and it is unacceptable.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Agreed with MHC. Kernel Panic. Usually hardware related. Totally unacceptable on a new machine like that. Demand a new one.
QUOTE Thanks
lilmill

well i went down and got a new laptop and guess what same problem. If this is what mac is all about i dont think i want in. Two laptops from different stores. doing the same thing first the wifi connection quits working. It shows connected but network is not available, the the screen goes gray from top to bottom and tells you to hold in the power button to restart.I have not installed anything on these just added pictures from a portable drive.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
well i went down and got a new laptop and guess what same problem. If this is what mac is all about i dont think i want in. Two laptops from different stores. doing the same thing first the wifi connection quits working. It shows connected but network is not available, the the screen goes gray from top to bottom and tells you to hold in the power button to restart.I have not installed anything on these just added pictures from a portable drive.
I can not believe you have had such bad luck with your MBP. Maybe Macs don't like you! Sorry, don't know what is going on. KP's should not happen. Did you install the updates or just leave it stock?
QUOTE Thanks
techmonkey

techmonkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
well i went down and got a new laptop and guess what same problem. .
Wow. Are you sure its not the same laptop? lol

Seriously, did you install anything or are you running it straight out of the box?
QUOTE Thanks
lilmill

straight out of the box. After the second one started doing it I tried to install smc fan control but it said it was not supported so i didn't. Is ther a way to get tot an error log? And I'm sure it is a differnt unit box was seal and it asked for the initial set up.
QUOTE Thanks
lilmill

and I did do the upgrades after the install, all software is current
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Made the switch today... | Concerns about switching to the Mac »