New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Core Duo vs. Core 2 Duo?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kuklachica

kuklachica is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle

What are the differences between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo? Can you run Windows on both? If you're not a heavy graphics user and just do basic internet/word processing/iTunes on the comp, would you notice a difference? And is it worth buying a Core Duo to save money?

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
cgchambers

cgchambers is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 w/4 gigs, Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8's with 16 gigs of Ram, iMac 21" i5

There are a few differences, mainly performance. Core Duo was the original dual core chip, and is only 32 bit. The Core 2 Duo is a 64 bit chip. The 64 bit chip run faster. Windows and OSX can run on both machines. I have heard, but had no first hand experience that the Core Duo ran much hotter than the Core 2 Duo's. Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Leopard is going to be completely 64 bit. Although it will run on Core Duo, it won't be as fast.
QUOTE Thanks
Gav

Gav is on a distinguished road

If you can spring for Core 2 Duo, you will get the following benefits:

- 64-Bit Processor, will run Leopard/XP 64Bit (And 32Bit) perfectly.
- A more powerful chip, not only do they have higher clock speeds, but due to the architecture and whatnot, also a better performer in general.

However the only downside to Core 2 Duo would be that because it is 64-Bit, it will not run 16-Bit Applications. Not a problem if your using Mac OS X, but if you boot into Windows, you'll find that quite a few programs still use 16-Bit installers.

Overall though, Core 2 Duo would be better if you can afford it, if not Core Duo is fine. My Core Duo 1.83Ghz iMac can handle 1080p HD playback with considerable ease, and 720p beautifully (heck, I can even use expose with live 720p footage ). (Again, can I point out - I am selling this iMac - see sig )
QUOTE Thanks
flilow06

flilow06 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

However the only downside to Core 2 Duo would be that because it is 64-Bit, it will not run 16-Bit Applications. Not a problem if your using Mac OS X, but if you boot into Windows, you'll find that quite a few programs still use 16-Bit installers.

Doesn't this depend on whether the Windows OS is 32-bit or 64-bit, and not the processor? I don't think there would be a problem as long as the OS isn't 64-bit, which almost none of them are still.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

flilow06 is right.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
If you're not a heavy graphics user and just do basic internet/word processing/iTunes on the comp, would you notice a difference?
I suspect not. None of those really challenge even the lowly Mac mini or low end iMac.

Unless you are thinking of buying used, the only current Apple machine with Core Duo is the Mac mini. The rest of the machines use Core 2 Duo or better. Perhaps your real concern is about the graphics system. That will affect a "heavy graphics user" much more.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Bear in mind the Core Duo is still a fine processor and is in no way a slouch.
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
Bear in mind the Core Duo is still a fine processor and is in no way a slouch.
Absolutey. My CD MBP runs great!
QUOTE Thanks
macbookdabest

macbookdabest has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!

i heard with os 10.5, it will run slow with core duo macs
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Which would mean it would run badly with G5s and G4s too.

I can't see Apple's next OS only working well if you bought a Mac in the last 9 months.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbookdabest View Post
i heard with os 10.5, it will run slow with core duo macs
Give me a break.
QUOTE Thanks
macbookdabest

macbookdabest has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!

ya i heard that cuz the core duos are 32 bit and os 10.5 is a 64 bit operating system
so its not true then?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbookdabest View Post
ya i heard that cuz the core duos are 32 bit and os 10.5 is a 64 bit operating system
so its not true then?
I would expect Apple has figured out the technical details. Probably when you install or start up OS X it will know what type of system it is on and adjust accordingly. With 22+ million OS X users that are mostly 32bit systems Apple has to make sure performance is a good as it can be on both. Expect the best.
QUOTE Thanks
ste6168

ste6168 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
I would expect Apple has figured out the technical details. Probably when you install or start up OS X it will know what type of system it is on and adjust accordingly. With 22+ million OS X users that are mostly 32bit systems Apple has to make sure performance is a good as it can be on both. Expect the best.
I dont think that Leopard is going to run great, if at all, on the G3's, but it will run just fine on the G4's and G5's...

*edit - although wikipedia is not always the best information: here it is:

Quote:
Like Mac OS X 10.4, Leopard will support both PowerPC and Intel Macs. However, Leopard will not be released in separate versions, but instead will comprise one universal release that will run on either processor.[34] While it is known that Leopard will support PowerPC G4 and PowerPC G5 processors, support for the PowerPC G3 is reportedly not present in the pre-release versions which have been made available to developers.[35] When Apple’s Leopard website first appeared online, the 64-bit section stated, "From G3 to Xeon, from MacBook to Xserve, there is just one Leopard." The sentence was removed from the page the following day, leaving open the question of whether Leopard will support Macs with G3 processors.[36] In the past, each new major release of Mac OS X has dropped support for at least some older Macs; 10.3 dropped support for Macs without built-in USB ports, and 10.4 dropped support for computers without FireWire ports.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« entourage for email? | Macbook Protection »