Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1

    shahvikram123's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 16, 2006
    Location
    UK, London
    Posts
    637
    Specs:
    13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
    Convincing my mate to get a mac
    My mate wants to purchase a new computer, but when I suggested a mac, he kept on saying that there only meant for designers and people working with graphics etc...

    I know this is not the case, but how can I convince him that macs are not just for designers etc ?

  2. #2
    todd51
    Guest
    It's OS X that makes a Mac a Mac. Tell him to go to an Apple store, or borrow one of somebody's to try it out. Show him all the differences it has compared to Windows.

  3. #3

    cheez's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 18, 2007
    Location
    Athens / Greece
    Posts
    113
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
    show him the apple ads...I think its a good start...when i first saw them they make me think a bit different...
    Everything Happens For A Reason That Serves You...

  4. #4

    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    Don't try to convince him one way or the other.
    Let him get what he wants for himself.
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  5. #5


    Member Since
    Apr 19, 2007
    Posts
    780
    Specs:
    20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
    The problem with Windows:
    Hardware/software issues
    Viruses
    Crashes
    Many different versions
    No iLife
    No Time Machine
    No guarantee that your hardware will totally work with all software
    No universal spell checker
    No built in Bluetooth & wireless internet as standard

    And many others.

    They aren't just for designers - why would there be 767 users online as I type this? Why would I have one? Why does he think this? Because designers have them? Why does he think they have them? Because they're better for the job, of course.

  6. #6

    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    The problem with Windows (and Macs):
    Hardware/software issues (same goes for Macs)
    Viruses (theoretically this is a still a threat for Macs)
    Crashes (same goes for Macs)
    Many different versions (I fail to see the relevance)
    No iLife (again, no relevance here. Mac OS X doesn't include iLife either)
    No Time Machine (Mac users don't have this yet either, but Windows already has System Restore)
    No guarantee that your hardware will totally work with all software (same for Macs)
    No universal spell checker (I fail to see the great importance of this)
    No built in Bluetooth & wireless internet as standard (depending on which Mac you buy, this is true for Macs as well)
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  7. #7

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,863
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    If he really wants a Windows machine, let him get one. Some people will never switch no matter what you say or what you show them. I do agree though, tell him to go to an apple store and try OSX and see if maybe he likes it. If not, he would be better off with Windows.

    The only friends who I come down on are the narrow minded who just say MAC stinks and they will not even try OSX. Don't bash something you have not even tried. If you at least give it a fair shot and still do not like it, at least you are being fair.


    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
    No built in Bluetooth & wireless internet as standard (depending on which Mac you buy, this is true for Macs as well)
    Agreed, and most PC Laptops these days for the price of a Mac have WiFi and Bluetooth, at least the ones I see and work on all the time.

  8. #8

    James's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 26, 2004
    Location
    Pocola, Oklahoma
    Posts
    819
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"
    Quote Originally Posted by shahvikram123 View Post
    My mate wants to purchase a new computer, but when I suggested a mac, he kept on saying that there only meant for designers and people working with graphics etc...

    I know this is not the case, but how can I convince him that macs are not just for designers etc ?
    You can tell him about me...70 years old retired truck driver...i couldn't design a thing, but i love my Mac and would never go back to winderz.
    Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - Quad Core - 16 Gigs Ram - 10.11.2 - 30" Apple Monitor
    iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro

  9. #9

    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Most PC Laptops these days for the price of a Mac have WiFi and Bluetooth, at least the ones I see and work on all the time.
    I agree, but I was only adding my comments to the post prior to mine.
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  10. #10

    ibookclamman300's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 14, 2007
    Location
    chattanooga, tn
    Posts
    759
    Specs:
    Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    You can tell him about me...70 years old retired truck driver...i couldn't design a thing, but i love my Mac and would never go back to winderz.
    there you go, excellent example. Ease of use, the number one advantage of Mac OS X.
    Mac: Macbook C2D 2.0ghz, 120gb hdd, 1gb ram, black
    iPod: iPod nano 2ng gen. 8gb, black

  11. #11

    milessthomas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 28, 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    783
    Specs:
    MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
    The problem with Windows (and Macs):

    No guarantee that your hardware will totally work with all software (same for Macs)
    I believe he was referring to the fact that the macintosh platform now supports the use of windows/linux/unix/etc. on the system, which therefore supports the use of other systems software on the mac.

    Which is great, but at the same time the reason OSX is not supported on any other intel system is apples fault because they made it legally(well I'm not sure if it's legal to install osx86 if you have a license) incapable to install on non-mac hardware.

    But at the same time Mac hardware doesn't support the installation of solaris systems...so technically they don't either have the support to run all varieties of op systems and their software.

  12. #12

    milessthomas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 28, 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    783
    Specs:
    MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
    I do agree with all of your other opinions though D3v1L80Y.

  13. #13

    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by thomassmiles708 View Post
    I believe he was referring to the fact that the macintosh platform now supports the use of windows/linux/unix/etc. on the system, which therefore supports the use of other systems software on the mac.
    I believe he was only trying to bash Windows.
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  14. #14

    DoubleCap's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 12, 2007
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    552
    Specs:
    MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    The problem with Windows:
    Hardware/software issues
    Viruses
    Crashes
    Many different versions
    No iLife
    No Time Machine
    No guarantee that your hardware will totally work with all software
    No universal spell checker
    No built in Bluetooth & wireless internet as standard

    And many others.

    They aren't just for designers - why would there be 767 users online as I type this? Why would I have one? Why does he think this? Because designers have them? Why does he think they have them? Because they're better for the job, of course.
    I think D3v1L80Y hit the spot after your post, but seriously... your (smurfy) justifications are unwarranted. Most of them don't even apply.

  15. #15


    Member Since
    Mar 02, 2007
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
    The problem with Windows (and Macs):
    Hardware/software issues (same goes for Macs)
    Viruses (theoretically this is a still a threat for Macs)
    Crashes (same goes for Macs)
    Many different versions (I fail to see the relevance)
    No iLife (again, no relevance here. Mac OS X doesn't include iLife either)
    No Time Machine (Mac users don't have this yet either, but Windows already has System Restore)
    No guarantee that your hardware will totally work with all software (same for Macs)
    No universal spell checker (I fail to see the great importance of this)
    No built in Bluetooth & wireless internet as standard (depending on which Mac you buy, this is true for Macs as well)
    I am sooo glad D3v1L80Y replied to this, ummm, post (I'll be nice).

    The Time Machine point in particular got my goat. Hmmm, let's see... Mac doesn't have it yet, and PCs have had it for years. And that's a reason to want a Mac over a PC? Sheesh...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. convincing family about mac
    By yoyo13579 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-23-2013, 01:54 PM
  2. Need Convincing
    By hughvane in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 07:04 PM
  3. Need some convincing..
    By SwiftTib in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-17-2006, 12:16 AM
  4. what should my mate do?
    By macanal in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 01:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •