New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Convincing my mate to get a mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

My mate wants to purchase a new computer, but when I suggested a mac, he kept on saying that there only meant for designers and people working with graphics etc...

I know this is not the case, but how can I convince him that macs are not just for designers etc ?
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

It's OS X that makes a Mac a Mac. Tell him to go to an Apple store, or borrow one of somebody's to try it out. Show him all the differences it has compared to Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
cheez

cheez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb

show him the apple ads...I think its a good start...when i first saw them they make me think a bit different...

Everything Happens For A Reason That Serves You...
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Don't try to convince him one way or the other.
Let him get what he wants for himself.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

The problem with Windows:
Hardware/software issues
Viruses
Crashes
Many different versions
No iLife
No Time Machine
No guarantee that your hardware will totally work with all software
No universal spell checker
No built in Bluetooth & wireless internet as standard

And many others.

They aren't just for designers - why would there be 767 users online as I type this? Why would I have one? Why does he think this? Because designers have them? Why does he think they have them? Because they're better for the job, of course.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with Windows (and Macs):
Hardware/software issues (same goes for Macs)
Viruses (theoretically this is a still a threat for Macs)
Crashes (same goes for Macs)
Many different versions (I fail to see the relevance)
No iLife (again, no relevance here. Mac OS X doesn't include iLife either)
No Time Machine (Mac users don't have this yet either, but Windows already has System Restore)
No guarantee that your hardware will totally work with all software (same for Macs)
No universal spell checker (I fail to see the great importance of this)
No built in Bluetooth & wireless internet as standard (depending on which Mac you buy, this is true for Macs as well)

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If he really wants a Windows machine, let him get one. Some people will never switch no matter what you say or what you show them. I do agree though, tell him to go to an apple store and try OSX and see if maybe he likes it. If not, he would be better off with Windows.

The only friends who I come down on are the narrow minded who just say MAC stinks and they will not even try OSX. Don't bash something you have not even tried. If you at least give it a fair shot and still do not like it, at least you are being fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
No built in Bluetooth & wireless internet as standard (depending on which Mac you buy, this is true for Macs as well)
Agreed, and most PC Laptops these days for the price of a Mac have WiFi and Bluetooth, at least the ones I see and work on all the time.
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahvikram123 View Post
My mate wants to purchase a new computer, but when I suggested a mac, he kept on saying that there only meant for designers and people working with graphics etc...

I know this is not the case, but how can I convince him that macs are not just for designers etc ?
You can tell him about me...70 years old retired truck driver...i couldn't design a thing, but i love my Mac and would never go back to winderz.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Most PC Laptops these days for the price of a Mac have WiFi and Bluetooth, at least the ones I see and work on all the time.
I agree, but I was only adding my comments to the post prior to mine.

QUOTE Thanks
ibookclamman300

ibookclamman300 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
You can tell him about me...70 years old retired truck driver...i couldn't design a thing, but i love my Mac and would never go back to winderz.
there you go, excellent example. Ease of use, the number one advantage of Mac OS X.

Mac: Macbook C2D 2.0ghz, 120gb hdd, 1gb ram, black
iPod: iPod nano 2ng gen. 8gb, black
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

Quote:

No guarantee that your hardware will totally work with all software (same for Macs)
I believe he was referring to the fact that the macintosh platform now supports the use of windows/linux/unix/etc. on the system, which therefore supports the use of other systems software on the mac.

Which is great, but at the same time the reason OSX is not supported on any other intel system is apples fault because they made it legally(well I'm not sure if it's legal to install osx86 if you have a license) incapable to install on non-mac hardware.

But at the same time Mac hardware doesn't support the installation of solaris systems...so technically they don't either have the support to run all varieties of op systems and their software.

QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

I do agree with all of your other opinions though D3v1L80Y.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomassmiles708 View Post
I believe he was referring to the fact that the macintosh platform now supports the use of windows/linux/unix/etc. on the system, which therefore supports the use of other systems software on the mac.
I believe he was only trying to bash Windows.

QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

DoubleCap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
The problem with Windows:
Hardware/software issues
Viruses
Crashes
Many different versions
No iLife
No Time Machine
No guarantee that your hardware will totally work with all software
No universal spell checker
No built in Bluetooth & wireless internet as standard

And many others.

They aren't just for designers - why would there be 767 users online as I type this? Why would I have one? Why does he think this? Because designers have them? Why does he think they have them? Because they're better for the job, of course.
I think D3v1L80Y hit the spot after your post, but seriously... your (smurfy) justifications are unwarranted. Most of them don't even apply.
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

SoundsGood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hardware/software issues (same goes for Macs)
Viruses (theoretically this is a still a threat for Macs)
Crashes (same goes for Macs)
Many different versions (I fail to see the relevance)
No iLife (again, no relevance here. Mac OS X doesn't include iLife either)
No Time Machine (Mac users don't have this yet either, but Windows already has System Restore)
No universal spell checker (I fail to see the great importance of this)
I am sooo glad D3v1L80Y replied to this, ummm, post (I'll be nice).

The Time Machine point in particular got my goat. Hmmm, let's see... Mac doesn't have it yet, and PCs have had it for years. And that's a reason to want a Mac over a PC? Sheesh...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Free iPod Nano promotion in the UK? | UK Version of ColorWare »