New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Buy now or later

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stetwin

Stetwin is on a distinguished road

I know I’ve posted several different threads about picking between the Macbook and the Macbook Pro and if I should wait to get the HE discount in September but this is my last buying question….. Honest!

Anyway, after thinking about what I can do I’ve come down to three options:

Option 1: A Black Macbook with upgraded RAM and an airport express base station, which I am able to afford now.

Option 2: A Macbook Pro 15” (base model) with an airport express base station and mighty mouse + keyboard, which I can afford in September/October

Option 3: A Macbook Pro 15” (advanced model) with Printer, an airport express base station and a Mighty mouse + Keyboard, which I can afford in December/January

Which would you guys go for and why?
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

DoubleCap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD

Ok, first what are you using your laptop for? I think the reason no one posted in here is because we don't know how/what you work or want to work with.
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

SoundsGood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetwin View Post
Buy now or later
Another reason why you might want to wait (in my opinion) is if you believe the rumor that a smaller Macbook Pro may be coming in October.

If you're not interested in a smaller MBP, then this has no bearing on your decision.
QUOTE Thanks
Stetwin

Stetwin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prpandey View Post
Ok, first what are you using your laptop for? I think the reason no one posted in here is because we don't know how/what you work or want to work with.
Well where to start:

I need it primarily for Photo editing and would also require the abilities to do web browsing (must be wireless connectible), word processing, weekly/calendar planner, some minor gaming (mainly FPS like FEAR or CS:S and some real time strategy too, would like to try C&C-3 and SC2 in the future), Music, usable as a DVD player on long journeys, Needs to be portable because I need to be able to take it every where with me

I’m sure there’s something I’ve missed but that’s about it
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

If you want to game like that, get a MacBook Pro. MacBooks have integrated graphics and just aren't up to it.
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

I'd go with option 2. The MBP will do your PS work quicker, and do the gaming you want. A printer, extra RAM, external hard drives and stuff can be added later when you have the money.

I'm not sure about the Airport Express though. You should know that Apple's base-stations don't include an ADSL modem, meaning you'd have to buy one separately and connect it to the Express (assuming you need one).
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

SoundsGood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
The MBP will do your PS work quicker...
Really? I thought PS didn't make use of the graphics card, meaning a MB or a MBP would run PS the same. Right?
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

DoubleCap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD

If you want to play games, go with the MBP. Not only does it have a dedicated graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT), but bigger screen real estate than the MB. I'm sure you'd rather game on a laptop which has a bigger screen. It depends on which customization you get that will vary the type of graphics card you'll receive, 128MB vs 256MB for the 15" MBP models, and 256MB for the 17" model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post
Really? I thought PS didn't make use of the graphics card, meaning a MB or a MBP would run PS the same. Right?
Correct. 3D application programming interface (API) is not used, therefore a better graphics card should not affect the performance of your graphics card.

RAM will definitely play a factor. You'll get 2GB with any of the MBP models you choose.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Burning a CD? | Free iPod Nano promotion in the UK? »