New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

on Backup (opinions wanted)...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joeytpg

ok, as you know i'll be buying my pbook 15", plus backpack, external mouse (maybe the Logitec bluetooth mouse - 900MX or something like that, is it a good mouse?.......anyways...) i'll be subscribing to .mac,

i really want to buy something to back up some things on the computer......like my videos, my music, some important documents, etc. (not programs or any of that software kinda stuff)

so i need an opinion on which one you think is best for this.....

-External H.D.
-iPod
-USB Flash Drive

i know they're all different things...but i need portability plus space (not talking about 100 gb, no with 10 or 15 i'll do it...... but i need portability to save university's documents there,

can you give me an alternative?

and Prices too

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

USB drives: smallest and lightest, but most expensive (on a per-megabyte basis) Very convenient for small amounts of data (<128 MB or so)
The Apple Store has 128MB drives for $50, 512 for $130...and a 1GB drive for $300!

Portable FireWire drives: cheapest (again, per-megabyte) Iomega sells a 20GB drive for $130
http://www.iomega.com/na/products/pr...=1086571306805

iPod: most versatile. All the functionality of a HD, plus it plays music, too. More expensive than a HD, but much cheaper than a bunch of flash drives. $300 for 15GB; student discounts available.

(All prices in US dollars...)
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Media backup? I would recommend a DVD-R...4.2Gb on a single disk. Media's cheap and it's really useful. I think the cost of drive's are almost rock bottom now. Great time to buy, if you've not already.

All the one's you've listed are mechanical, if they break or you've dropped them, your data's kinda lost or stuck or worst, lost.
QUOTE Thanks
pcjabber

hype.it, you could argue the same with a DVD-R, too. And, SuperDrives aren't cheap, and sometimes not available. Personally, I would go with the FW HD. Or the iPod. But know this: when you use the iPod as a FW HD, you will shorten the life of the iPod somewhat.

PCjabber
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute

If the PowerBook has a SuperDrive, there's no good reason not to back up onto DVD, even if you do get another HD.

With regard to the fragility of media...in my mind, as long as you have to copies of something, and the media is reasonably durable, you're safe. It's very unlikely that both volumes will fail at the same time. (Of course, any truly critical files should be backed up a third time, and stored at a seperate location.)
QUOTE Thanks
pcjabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
If the PowerBook has a SuperDrive, there's no good reason not to back up onto DVD, even if you do get another HD.

With regard to the fragility of media...in my mind, as long as you have to copies of something, and the media is reasonably durable, you're safe. It's very unlikely that both volumes will fail at the same time. (Of course, any truly critical files should be backed up a third time, and stored at a seperate location.)
Yes, if you have a SuperDrive, they are excellent means of backing up. And, DVD media is pretty durable, I was just saying -- you could say that any media can break. If it will depends on if you drop it or scratch it or put it in a fire (whoops, got carried away)
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjabber
hype.it, you could argue the same with a DVD-R, too. And, SuperDrives aren't cheap, and sometimes not available. Personally, I would go with the FW HD. Or the iPod. But know this: when you use the iPod as a FW HD, you will shorten the life of the iPod somewhat.

PCjabber
Who said anything about a SuperDrive, I merely mentioned a DVD-R because it's the most flexible mass storage medium, apart from tape. You can buy and OEM DVD-R drive at almost in any computer store. It's not the 1980's any more and Macs don't need to use Apple Specific hardware. All you need after is some sort of Firewire Bused connection box and Toast.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

Or if your prepared to wait a little....

Mass Storage on Paper!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pcjabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hype.it
Who said anything about a SuperDrive, I merely mentioned a DVD-R because it's the most flexible mass storage medium, apart from tape. You can buy and OEM DVD-R drive at almost in any computer store. It's not the 1980's any more and Macs don't need to use Apple Specific hardware. All you need after is some sort of Firewire Bused connection box and Toast.
Very true. No need to get defensive. I was merely stating another point of view. Anyway, really, any drive you want is good. For easy, fast re-writing, though, I would suggest either a FW HD or the iPod (note what I said about the iPod as a HD). Or the USB key, but they are pretty pricey. You can pick up (at least) a 20GB FW HD for the price of a 1GB USB key....:eek:
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

Hmm.. eBay comes to mind. Just be-careful what you buy.

I mean, read the text. Hate to see someone buying a useless 'key' for something.
QUOTE Thanks
pcjabber

heh, yeah, that would suck.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

Quote:
Who said anything about a SuperDrive...
I believe I said something about the SuperDrive...and I mentioned it, because most PowerBook models have them standard these days, and it's only a $200 upgrade if you build-to-order--very competitive with a standalone DVD-R drive.
QUOTE Thanks
d4rr3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
I believe I said something about the SuperDrive...and I mentioned it, because most PowerBook models have them standard these days, and it's only a $200 upgrade if you build-to-order--very competitive with a standalone DVD-R drive.
You can get an oem dvd-r drive with better specs for under $70. I dont see how in their desktops they can charge an additional $200 for a 4x dvd-r or an additional $300 for a radeon 9800pro on top of what you pay for the stock drive and video card and people dont call them on it. :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

Stock AGP Graphics cards will not work in a Desktop Mac.

1. The Apple uses a propriety DVI socket known as ADC (Apple Display Connector), although there is a standard DVI also. The ADC also supplies the Apple Display with power, signals to configure the monitor; change it's brightness, colour and all. Plus you can shut down the system using a clever touch sensitive button, as found on Cube's.

2. Besides the AGP slot, the card itself is slightly different as it has a slot for drawing additional power from the motherboard, unlike it's PC sibling that uses a standard device power port.

3. Propriety Firmware... At one time, people used to flash the card so it'll work. But with new cards, i haven't seen this done. Dunno why.
QUOTE Thanks
d4rr3n

Quote:
Stock AGP Graphics cards will not work in a Desktop Mac.

1. The Apple uses a propriety DVI socket known as ADC (Apple Display Connector), although there is a standard DVI also. The ADC also supplies the Apple Display with power, signals to configure the monitor; change it's brightness, colour and all. Plus you can shut down the system using a clever touch sensitive button, as found on Cube's.

2. Besides the AGP slot, the card itself is slightly different as it has a slot for drawing additional power from the motherboard, unlike it's PC sibling that uses a standard device power port.

3. Propriety Firmware... At one time, people used to flash the card so it'll work. But with new cards, i haven't seen this done. Dunno why.

I understand it uses a different version of the card and that a stock pc agp card cant go in there. I just dont see how it could cost about twice as much as the pc version of the card. And i would bet much more of the pc versions would be underclocked 9800xt cores (my 9800pro isn't a 9800xt core , but it still overclocks to higher specs than a stock 9800xt ) than the mac ones since there is not a 9800xt avalilable for mac is there?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iSight and Digital Camara Question... | Woohoo!!! »