New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Software Q's

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oneword

oneword is on a distinguished road

Im ordering a Mac Pro tomorrow with the dual 3 Gig processors, 4 gigs ram and Office for Mac. Once I receive the unit, I'm goig to migrate all my document folders (word files, excel fiiles etc) by burning them to a portable HD and then plugging it into the Mac.

My questions are:

1. Will these files be immediatly recognized by mac
2. How do I move the emails, contacts and calandar information currently in outlook over to entourage?
3. How do i move my huge music file in itunes over (i find the file structure very confusing)
4. I have about 1 TB of photographs on an external buffalo raid device that connects via pc card and firewire, wil lthis be immediatly recognized?

many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

The biggest problem you may have is the format of the external drive and Buffalo RAID device. If they are in NTFS, the Mac will recognize them and read them, but not write to them. Your best bet is going to be to move things over/around and then reformat them both for the Mac. You may want to reformat the portable external as FAT-32, but I'd definitely go with HFS+ on the Buffalo RAID.

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

You should also be aware that Entourage is not the Mac equivalent of Outlook. Entourage is somewhere between Outlook Express and the full Outlook. It is not nearly as powerful. I also don't think it directly supports Outlook PST files, which is a major problem. In general, you will need to convert your PST files to industry standard MBX files and then import those into a Mac email client. This is one of the few real hassles in converting.

Pretty much everything else should be recognized immediately by the Mac, although as baggss points out, if they are NTFS formatted, they will be read only from the Mac perspective.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
oneword

oneword is on a distinguished road

Suddenly I have a problem. If i go to outlook and try to export, MBX is not one of the choices. Is there a better way to get my email archive into Office Mac from Outlook?
QUOTE Thanks
djames42

djames42 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP

I don't know that I'd say Entourage is not nearly as powerful as Outlook. In fact, in many ways I find it to be far superior. The mere inclusion of the Project Center in Entourage is brilliant. Outlook is missing some key features -- notably Exchange Server functionality such as Out Of Office notifications (which can be simulated using rules, although I have been known to create rules that loop -- try setting up an out-of-office rule and having your out-of-office notice bounce because the recipient is out-of-office), MAPI support (there is sometimes a slight delay in receiving messages via WebDAV over the direct-connection MAPI protocol). Entourage also does not properly handle forwarding certain formats (RTF is not supported at all, and HTML tables lose all of their formatting when forwarded).

One of the biggest downers (for me) is the fact that Entourage only supports a single local mail location. On my work machine, I used to set up two .pst files -- one for personal mail and one for work-related mail. That way I could easily keep my personal mail with me when I'd change jobs, and not have to be concerned about taking proprietary info with me. I could also set up a third .pst file for archived mail that I didn't think I'd need anymore, but could still keep offline, just in case.

Entourage also does not support .pst files, which in my opinion is a good thing. The fact that Outlook is the only mail client on the planet that does not use standard mbox formatting makes it, in my opinion, the child. However--it does complicate the transition from Windows. There are a few good tutorials out there that can help. One of them involves simply using an Exchange server (or an IMAP server if Exchange is not available). Set up a temporary folder on your server, move messages from your .pst file back to an online mail server. Connect to the mail server using Entourage, and transfer them locally. Yeah, it's a huge pain if you've got a huge .pst file and a limited quota on your remote mail server.

The other option (and I really don't remember how this works) is to use an intermediate mail transport agent. Eudora is the one that I recall reading about. I think you export your message from Outlook, import them into Eudora, and then somehow transfer those message into Entourage.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is a Mac really all that it is made up to be? | Dock Safari? »