New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Web cam for Macs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

atomheartmother

atomheartmother is on a distinguished road

Are there any webcams that work with Macs (aside from offerings from Apple)? I have an older iBook without a camera built in, and I am in desperate need of a webcam. The one I used to use with my PC doesn't work with the Mac. Any that do? I'm hoping to spend no more than around $30. I don't need anything fancy, just barebones video broadcasting. There are tons out for in this price range, but I haven't come across any that are listed as Mac compatible. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

Have you seen macam? There's another, similar project but I can't remember what it's called.

If that fails, macally do a really cheap (and pretty bad) one (I think it's called the icecam?). There was also a couple products I saw awhile ago that where Mac specific, but they where pretty expensive, and in low supply (and I can't remember the names).

Sorry I can't help more, but there's not many options. You might be able to find an old iSight, but that would be pretty expensive (they weren't cheap when supply was plentiful and as soon as they stopped making them the prices skyrocketed)
QUOTE Thanks
London Luke

London Luke can only hope to improve

Bad luck !
its very hard to find one that will work. I tried the macally one. The quality of the pic is terrible. most wont work with Yahoo messenger.

BUT older Logitechs do work and well. But forget that site called "Maccam" etc...most of its info is not correct.

I use a state of art Logitech. On a PC it is the best web cam i have ever seen.
No matter what lighting etc..the automatic exposure is perfect. and th eauto focus spot on.... until i use it on a MAC !! then its a bog standard web cam that has a ok pic... but none of the Logitech fancy "Auto" drivers work !

I tried a isight...and i dont think it is that good !
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Luke View Post
I tried a isight...and i dont think it is that good !
If you were disappointed with the iSight, you're really gonna be disappointed by just about every other webcam out there, regardless of whether it works with a Mac. I can't speak for the standalone iSight that's no longer produced, but the built-in iSights on the new Intel Macs are awesome! My co-worker has a webcam for her Windows computer, and the quality is atrocious in comparison to my built-in cam!

Webchats with other Mac users using iSights (like my wife and brother-in-law) are about as close to being there as the multi-thousand $$$ corporate video conferencing as I've seen. I was even able to get her brother's Apple TV working with his wireless network using iChat AV to see what was on his screen. That would have been painful, and only about a half-step better than just the phone with any other webcam.

Of course, if you don't have a Mac with the built-in iSight, your choices are limited. I would see if you can get a Firewire camera; that is more likely to work with a Mac. I don't know anything about them, but if you can find one (and I think the standalone iSight, expensive as it is, is a firewire cam) it might work.
QUOTE Thanks
ArmyChief

ArmyChief will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomheartmother View Post
Are there any webcams that work with Macs (aside from offerings from Apple)? I have an older iBook without a camera built in, and I am in desperate need of a webcam. Any ideas?
I bought one at BestBuy called RocketFish or RocketCam. Can't really remember, as it was two months ago and now that I have my MacBook, I use the iSight. I paid $49 for it. It works/worked great. Said "Mac" on the box.

Okay, here is the BestBuy link.

Hope that helps.

William
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
I bought one at BestBuy called RocketFish or RocketCam. Can't really remember, as it was two months ago and now that I have my MacBook, I use the iSight. I paid $49 for it. It works/worked great. Said "Mac" on the box.

Okay, here is the BestBuy link.

Hope that helps.

William
Just wanted to comment that I went out and purchased this webcam to give to my parents. They have my old Mac Mini, and I just tested it on my "spare" Mac Mini. If you download iChatUSB, it does, indeed work. It's not as nice as the built-in iSight of my Macbook, but it works fine, and will give my parents the ability to not have their son drive for 3 hours to visit them.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Which web cam do you have? You might be fine with the one you have. You can find the drivers for a huge list of cams, here.
QUOTE Thanks
London Luke

London Luke can only hope to improve

Maccam is very "iffy" .

on a expensive laptop.. i would have at least expected th ebiult in isight to handle "backlight" well..... also you cannot rotate it.... so if you need to show something..you have to pick the laptop up and move it around.
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

Ok, so what if someone goes out and spends 4K on a MacPro with a 23" HD cinema display....there is no iSight built into the standalone displays.

Brilliant idea to discontinue the only product on the market that will let a MacPro user use iChat.

Stupid Apple and their loss of logic sometimes.
QUOTE Thanks
Rob Heath

Rob Heath is on a distinguished road

ok people i have now got a working webcam running on my mini mac , it is a logitech quick cam fusion but you need to get the ichatusbcam 2.2.1 drivers which only costs $10 and i have them running with mercury 1.8 and chatting to mate's on msn with no problem hope this helps everyone

Rob
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

10.4.9 Adds USB Camera Support for iChat; Xbox Camera Works

The important thing in that announcement is the knowledge that many USB 2 cameras are now supported. So I went over to MacMall to see that they have several to choose from.

So now the only problem is figuring out which cameras actually work and which gives the best results.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tripple boot with MacOSX/Vista/Ubuntu? | Looking To Buy A Mac. »