New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Brother keeps trying to put me off.....


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Stetwin

 
Stetwin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 08, 2007
Posts: 95
Stetwin is on a distinguished road

Stetwin is offline
I'm not really sure why, but for some reason my brother keeps trying to put me off buying a Mac. Hes the only person i know that owns a Mac so his opinion is important but when ever we talk about it he just keeps telling me it wont be the machine i'll expect and that i could get a Windows PC for the same price with better specs,

Here's one he linked me this morning:

Display: 15.4 INCH WIDESCREEN DISPLAY (1280 X 800) + ANTI-GLARE
Processor (CPU): INTEL® Core 2 Duo T7700 (2 X 2.40GHz) 800MHz FSB/4MB L2 Cache
Memory (RAM): 2048 MB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x1GB)
Operating System: WINDOWS® XP Home (inc. Genuine CD & License) (£59)
USB Options: 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS
Memory - Hard Disk: 160GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5400rpm)
CD/DVD Drive: 8x DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Graphics Card: 256MB GEFORCE 8600GT + D-SUB + TV-OUT
Sound Card: Realtek ALC268 2 Channel High Definition Audio + SPIDIF OUT
Modem: INTEGRATED 56KBPS V92 MODEM
Network Facilities: Onboard LAN & WIRELESS 802.11G NETWORK CARD (£13)
Memory Card Reader: INTERNAL 3 IN 1 MEMORY CARD READER (SD, MMC, MS, MS PRO)
Firewire & Video Editing: 1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Keyboard: INTEGRATED 87 KEY KEYBOARD + 2 HOTKEYS
Mouse: INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Speakers: INTEGRATED 1.5W STEREO SPEAKERS
Webcam & VoIP: INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Battery: 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery - up to 4 Hours Battery Life
Power Lead & Adaptor: 1 x UK Power Lead & 90W AC Adaptor
Dimensions & Weight: W x D x H: 355mm x 257mm x 35.2mm | Weight: 2.7KG
Additional Features: 1 x Express Card Slot
Warranty: 1 Year Return-to-Base incl 1st Month Free Collect & Return
Delivery: Standard Insured Delivery to UK Mainland (Mon-Fri 8am-6pm) (Free)

£959 inc VAT and Delivery

Available at pcspecialist.co.uk

He tells me it will give me more bang for my buck, perform faster while useing PS, has dedicated GFX so i will be able to play most new games on it and has the bigger screen i had wanted......

And the worst part is i think hes right, after looking over its spec compared to the Black Macbook its got me having second thoughts,

I hate this because i had just got my sight set on the macbook and now im unsure again

What would you guys do? And i know this is a mac forum but if you take your love for mac away what would you do?
QUOTE Thanks
AK47

 
Member Since: Apr 02, 2007
Posts: 229
AK47 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD

AK47 is offline
Specs are one thing, Operating system is another thing entirely, and this is also the main thing that sets apple computers above windows based machines.

sure you can get that PC cheaper, but you're gonna get windows on it.
QUOTE Thanks
Stetwin

 
Stetwin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 08, 2007
Posts: 95
Stetwin is on a distinguished road

Stetwin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Specs are one thing, Operating system is another thing entirely, and this is also the main thing that sets apple computers above windows based machines.

sure you can get that PC cheaper, but you're gonna get windows on it.
Unfortunately that means nothing to me because i've used windows all my life and i don't find it all that bad
QUOTE Thanks
AK47

 
Member Since: Apr 02, 2007
Posts: 229
AK47 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD

AK47 is offline
OSX is an incredible operating system, and really is what makes apple computers so enjoyable to use. Perhaps you should give it a go, read these forums for a few months, learn about OSX and you will see how and why it is a better operating system.

I believe the prominent reason people do not give apples a chance is because they are so used to windows they believe there is no other alternative, and they really miss out on what makes OSX so good.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I think the question you need to ask yourself is this:

WHY are you thinking of getting a Mac?

I can't grasp your intentions behind this question of yours. You say you are quite content with Windoze and yet you want to get a Mac? Why?
QUOTE Thanks
AK47

 
Member Since: Apr 02, 2007
Posts: 229
AK47 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD

AK47 is offline
Also, people are quick to dismiss OSX because they try to use it like they use their windows computer, which will get you no where.
Try to give OSX a decent go, and learn how it works before deciding if you like it or not.

Besides, if you buy the Mac, you can always install windows on it anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

 
Aptmunich's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Munich
Posts: 9,075
Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Aptmunich is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetwin View Post
Unfortunately that means nothing to me because i've used windows all my life and i don't find it all that bad
Windows isn't that bad... but do you want a computer that's "not bad" or one that's great?

I was really sceptical at first too... I think lots of people here were.
QUOTE Thanks
AK47

 
Member Since: Apr 02, 2007
Posts: 229
AK47 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD

AK47 is offline
Haha, thats exactly what I was trying to get across, but you did it much better.

well said.
QUOTE Thanks
Stetwin

 
Stetwin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 08, 2007
Posts: 95
Stetwin is on a distinguished road

Stetwin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
I think the question you need to ask yourself is this:

WHY are you thinking of getting a Mac?

I can't grasp your intentions behind this question of yours. You say you are quite content with Windoze and yet you want to get a Mac? Why?
Well i hear good things and thought it might be nice to see what things are like on the other side of the fence (if we dont try how will we ever know?), but since my brother owns a Mac and is trying to put me of then the only thing i can think is either they suck..... or hes acting like a 10 y/o kid and cant have anyone else be apart of his wonderful Mac world.....
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

You just answered your own question, man! How much credence/importance you can give your bro's opinion! He doesn't want to share!
QUOTE Thanks
AK47

 
Member Since: Apr 02, 2007
Posts: 229
AK47 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD

AK47 is offline
How long has he been a mac user?
What kind of mac does he own?
QUOTE Thanks
cheez

 
cheez's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2007
Location: Athens / Greece
Posts: 113
cheez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb

cheez is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Windows isn't that bad... but do you want a computer that's "not bad" or one that's great?

I was really sceptical at first too... I think lots of people here were.
soooo true!!

Everything Happens For A Reason That Serves You...
QUOTE Thanks
Stetwin

 
Stetwin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 08, 2007
Posts: 95
Stetwin is on a distinguished road

Stetwin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
How long has he been a mac user?
What kind of mac does he own?
He's been Mac since last year when he started Uni, and he owns a MBP 17"
QUOTE Thanks
vxd

 
Member Since: Jun 19, 2007
Posts: 119
vxd can only hope to improve

vxd is offline
I guess it all comes down to which os you want. I've been using Windows for the last 8 years and osx for the last four. I dont see anything wrong with Windows. The only reason i have a mbp is because i already own a Windows machine and thought it would be nice to "bat for both sides".

It seems like you would generally play games on your laptop so maybe a Windows laptop would be a lot better and cheaper.
QUOTE Thanks
Ge64

 
Member Since: Jul 06, 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 178
Ge64 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM

Ge64 is offline
Looks like the specs of a Macbook Pro to me... 2.4ghz, 2gb, 256mb 8600GT...

You pay extra though, but then you have a very well designed laptop and it includes the easiest-to-use OS ever, and of course the Apple logo ensures that the hardware works perfectly together without problems

www.endlessparadigm.com - forum for fun people

Irssi, client of the future
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Icon Packs | Burning a CD? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Transferring files to mac, Where do you put them? MikeT Switcher Hangout 11 06-08-2007 04:02 AM
Any way to put video on ipod from another computer? fyrman22 iPod Hardware and Accessories 0 10-26-2005 02:57 PM
iMac fans stay on when put to sleep... code777 Apple Desktops 13 04-23-2005 08:48 PM
Mac story: trying to convert my brother mdamics Switcher Hangout 2 03-04-2005 04:59 AM
What should I put on my external HD to free up space?? DanZ Other Hardware and Peripherals 3 12-04-2003 11:05 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?