New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

"Open with" shows multiple versions of the same apps, why?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack is on a distinguished road

I noticed when you start upgrading software, if you right click a document and choose "Open with", it shows several versions. (See below) How do I get rid of these? The funny part is, if I choose an older version, for some apps, it actually loads up the older version! Even though when I upgraded software, it supposedly replaced the old version.

What's going on?

QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

go check and see whats in your applications folder....i bet a virtual beer that you have two versions of opera and imagewell
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
CaptSaltyJack

You owe me a virtual beer. The app is only shown once. And if I explore the package contents, I don't see anything about multiple versions.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

spotlight search the app names

if there really are no duplicates, deleting some preferences or caches might help, but i forget which ones....deleting all your caches will make your computer act just like new and is a major pita to get back to how you had it
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yep, me too. Check it out.
Admittedly Opera has been upgraded at least twice. Firefox has been upgraded once. For sure Navigator, NeoOffice and REalplayer have only been installed once. And TextEdit, I know I have never installed that as it came pre-installed.

Also, did a spotlight search and none of them are listed but a single time as an app.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (131.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: png Picture 2.png (48.1 KB, 41 views)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

There is no way an older version of an application will launch if it's not on the hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Hey Capt, just found this.

Just type those two line into the teminal, and

Yep, it works Capt. Here's using Open With on the exact same two files afterward.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 3.png (12.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: png Picture 4.png (32.7 KB, 38 views)

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Drunkenbatman had a great article on this issue:

http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenbl...es/000643.html

If you have OnyX installed, select 'reset launchservices database' to cure this problem.
QUOTE Thanks
professorjay

professorjay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post

If you have OnyX installed, select 'reset launchservices database' to cure this problem.
Good to know, I've bookmarked it for future reference. I'm sure everyone is going to face this problem sooner or later.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post

And Main Menu also has the option to 'Rebuld LaunchServices"

QUOTE Thanks
CaptSaltyJack

OK. The command line version didn't do anything. OnyX "rebuild" worked perfectly!

And for the record, even if it shows two different versions of the same app, you CAN run an older app even though it's been replaced. Don't ask me how, but it's possible. Here's proof:

QuickTime 7.1.6 and 7.2 were both options on my "Open With" menu. I was able to open a file with either version, mysteriously.
QUOTE Thanks
ronnlly

ronnlly is on a distinguished road

more than 4 years have gone by but i am surprised that the issue is still occurring. It is happening to me but not confined to Open With Menu, but also in the Applications folder. Tried Onyx and did not seem to work. Also the two liner statements are no longer recognized in Terminal. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ishot-2.jpg (113.5 KB, 27 views)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Having the same application listed in the Applications folder twice is a totally separate issue from the one being discussed above.

Simply drag one of those VLC apps to the trash. Actually, I'd drag both of them to the trash, then download and install the latest version.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Not only does what chas_m mention mess up the Application folder, it does the same thing with Launchpad. Always install applications in the default Applications folder to avoid duplicates and confusion.
QUOTE Thanks
ronnlly

ronnlly is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for guys the suggestions and input. Nonetheless I'd like to point out that each time I simply click and drag newly installed s/w to Applications folder and likewise subsequent update (or simply launch update and it would automatically update existing one in that folder). So not sure what is meant by "have NOT followed Apple's guideline of storing apps exclusively in the Applications folder with no subfolders".
Secondly I cannot just delete the duplicating versions. It would reinstate itself (btw VLC is just one but there others behaving same way).
Thirdly as what chscag said, it effect launch pad, as well as those in Application folder and Open With menu. So I can only deduce that all 3 are the same issue or are interrelated.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I use a Sony camcorder as a webcam on my mac? | How do I ???? New Mac user question »