Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Open with" shows multiple versions of the same apps, why?
    I noticed when you start upgrading software, if you right click a document and choose "Open with", it shows several versions. (See below) How do I get rid of these? The funny part is, if I choose an older version, for some apps, it actually loads up the older version! Even though when I upgraded software, it supposedly replaced the old version.

What's going on?

Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    go check and see whats in your applications folder....i bet a virtual beer that you have two versions of opera and imagewell
    -chris
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

You owe me a virtual beer. The app is only shown once. And if I explore the package contents, I don't see anything about multiple versions.

Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    spotlight search the app names

if there really are no duplicates, deleting some preferences or caches might help, but i forget which ones....deleting all your caches will make your computer act just like new and is a major pita to get back to how you had it
    -chris
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Yep, me too. Check it out.
    Admittedly Opera has been upgraded at least twice. Firefox has been upgraded once. For sure Navigator, NeoOffice and REalplayer have only been installed once. And TextEdit, I know I have never installed that as it came pre-installed.

Also, did a spotlight search and none of them are listed but a single time as an app.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    There is no way an older version of an application will launch if it's not on the hard drive.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Hey Capt, just found this.

Just type those two line into the teminal, and

Yep, it works Capt. Here's using Open With on the exact same two files afterward.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Drunkenbatman had a great article on this issue:

http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenbl...es/000643.html

If you have OnyX installed, select 'reset launchservices database' to cure this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post

If you have OnyX installed, select 'reset launchservices database' to cure this problem.
    Good to know, I've bookmarked it for future reference. I'm sure everyone is going to face this problem sooner or later.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post

And Main Menu also has the option to 'Rebuld LaunchServices"

OK. The command line version didn't do anything. OnyX "rebuild" worked perfectly!

And for the record, even if it shows two different versions of the same app, you CAN run an older app even though it's been replaced. Don't ask me how, but it's possible. Here's proof:

QuickTime 7.1.6 and 7.2 were both options on my "Open With" menu. I was able to open a file with either version, mysteriously.

Unhappy Same problem 4 years hence
    more than 4 years have gone by but i am surprised that the issue is still occurring. It is happening to me but not confined to Open With Menu, but also in the Applications folder. Tried Onyx and did not seem to work. Also the two liner statements are no longer recognized in Terminal. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Specs:
    Having the same application listed in the Applications folder twice is a totally separate issue from the one being discussed above.

Simply drag one of those VLC apps to the trash. Actually, I'd drag both of them to the trash, then download and install the latest version.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Bob is right. The problem of multiple versions of apps occurs when you have NOT followed Apple's guideline of storing apps exclusively in the Applications folder with no subfolders.*

*iWork being a notable exception

This still happens to me from time to time, then I remember that oh yeah, new updates tend to install straight into Applications and I have subfolders. Oh look, there's the older version in the subfolder.

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Not only does what chas_m mention mess up the Application folder, it does the same thing with Launchpad. Always install applications in the default Applications folder to avoid duplicates and confusion.

Thread Information