New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How to use the keyboard to select buttons in dialogs (e.g., Don't Save/Cancel/Save)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

remain

remain is a jewel in the roughremain is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz

Seems like a lot of switchers have trouble with using the keyboard to move between the buttons in dialogs.

Generally, you can just press the buttons directly without selecting them:

Return = the blue button (the default selection)
e.g.,

Escape or Command . (period) = Cancel

Command [first letter of button name] = other buttons (e.g., Command D = "Don't Save")

(credit: technologist)

However, you can also use Tab and Shift Tab to move left and right to select the buttons, just like the arrow keys in Windows!

Here's how:

Open System Preferences. Go to Keyboard & Mouse, then the Keyboard Shortcuts tab.

At the bottom, set "In windows and dialogs, press Tab to move the keyboard focus between" to "All controls":

You can also use Control F7 to toggle this preference,
although "Turn full keyboard access on or off" (which is Control F1) must be on.

By default, Control F2 through Control F7 are disabled,
so basically:
-press Control F1 to turn on full keyboard access (so that Control F7 is enabled)
-then press Control F7 to set the other pref to "All controls."

And now, you can use Tab (and Shift Tab for reverse) to select buttons in dialogs!

But remember, use Space to "press" the current selection, not Return.

Pressing Return will "press" on whatever button is in blue.

For instance:

In this case:

Space = the currently selected button: Don't Save

Return = the blue default button: Save

Cog 0.07 audio player - cogx.org
AAC, AIFF, APE, FLAC, M4A, MP3, MPC, OGG, SHN, WAV, WV, tracker formats,
VG music formats, cue sheets, M3U & PLS, Growl, Last.fm, Apple Remote
Latest Nightly Build (0.08) (new interface!) - Got ideas? Report bugs?
QUOTE Thanks
cheez

cheez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb

Well this is helpful but u know what?I hate that almost non of the new user searching their Macs to see what are capable of and only yelling i cant do this i cant do that. I did and i already found how to do a lot of things.Maybe ppl dont love their computers as i do.
Anyway, thx a lot for sharing -.-"

Everything Happens For A Reason That Serves You...
QUOTE Thanks
Red Snapper

Red Snapper is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video

I always wondered about this, thanks for the info.
QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

Ninjab3ar has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
Well this is helpful but u know what?I hate that almost non of the new user searching their Macs to see what are capable of and only yelling i cant do this i cant do that. I did and i already found how to do a lot of things.Maybe ppl dont love their computers as i do.
Anyway, thx a lot for sharing -.-"
I know how you feel. I have a friend who bought a MacBook pro around January (around the same time I did). After using it for a month though, she didnt even know about Expose, or that OS X has voice controls. She didnt even know about widgets!
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

This should be a stickie. Someone summon a Mod.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

SoundsGood is on a distinguished road

Maybe Apple should offer a free "switchers" book (with tips just like this one) for those coming from Windows.

In the end it would help Apple, especially if the complaints turned into praise.
QUOTE Thanks
cheez

cheez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjab3ar View Post
I know how you feel. I have a friend who bought a MacBook pro around January (around the same time I did). After using it for a month though, she didnt even know about Expose, or that OS X has voice controls. She didnt even know about widgets!
thank god!im not the only one here!
well its like we got the same friend lol.
i got a friend who bought the mac before me, like a month before me and i told him about the same things you did...
<3

Everything Happens For A Reason That Serves You...
QUOTE Thanks
Sandwichman

Sandwichman will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD

Thanks for this, I was always confused about why Tab only moved the blue outline, and return still activated the one that was filled in.

Sitting, waiting, wishing...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SOPHOS AntiVirus | OS X version problem »