New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Finally got to see a Macbook in the "flesh"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stetwin

Stetwin is on a distinguished road

Well so to speak,

Yesterday I was in a John Lewis store in Newcastle and got the chance to get my hands on a macbook and actually feel and see what it was like, I loved the sleek black casing and the brightness of the display, It seemed to launch applications fast and the keyboard and mouse pad felt nice to use the only down side was the size of the screen, I just hadnt realised how small a 13.3 widescreen would actually be.. the macbook looked almost like a toy sat between the other laptops. What I want to know is whats the screen like after prolonged use, will it strain my eyes while using PS and make me wish I had bought a laptop with a bigger display?
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Screen size is subjective, but as someone who likes to have the biggest screen set to the highest resolution, I was expecting to be using an external monitor quite a bit in spanned mode with my Macbook.

I rarely do so. I have a 20" CRT above my monitor which is currently not connected and turned off. Neither does my wife who has a nice 17" external LCD. The only time we use our monitors is if we're doing Photoshop work, which I don't do all that often, and even sometimes when I'm doing something quick I won't bother connecting the monitor. Only during extensive editing of photos or audio will I bother to plug in the external. When I do, it recognizes it instantly and puts it immediately in spanned mode of my choosing, but it's more often I'm using the internal LCD.

Granted, I'm using VirtueDesktops which gives me four 'virtual' desktops on which I can put different apps and switch to them quickly, but even without that I'd have no problem with the 13.3" display. I've been using this thing pretty much every waking hour since February. Something about the 1280x800 widescreen makes it perfect. I even prefer to watch DVDs and other movies on the internal LCD (in full screen mode, of course.)
QUOTE Thanks
FishinFool

FishinFool is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5

The laptops with the bigger displays are great until you bring them on the plane and even put them in a case to walk around with. I have a 15' Powerbook which is nearly impossible to bring on a plane and a Macbook which works perfectly. My philosophy is that if your going to buy a laptop buy one that is portable. I really would not be concerned with the size of screen for photoshop but rather the computers guts. I have the old macbook with the factory RAM and its kind of slow when running Photoshop but the screen is fine and does not bother me

Xbox Live Gamertag:tr00p3rls

WoW Account (Demon Soul-Horde): Cabse
QUOTE Thanks
Louie

Louie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Blackbook C2D 1gb ram 120gb

i remember when i first saw the actual size of a macbook. in the shop i thought it looked tiny but the screen feels perfect when your actually using it. its more than big enough for photoshop stuff.

Black Macbook - iPod touch
QUOTE Thanks
Stetwin

The only problem is, i will be moving down from a 26" display so i think Im going to notice the difference dramatically
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetwin View Post
The only problem is, i will be moving down from a 26" display so i think Im going to notice the difference dramatically
26" external display or what comes with the laptop? (Now that I think about it, a 26" laptop would be pretty huge, so you're probably not using an internal 26" display.)

Yes you'll notice. Will you care? Maybe not. In any event you'll still be able to use it as an external display with a Macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
wytwolf

wytwolf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD

Yeah I went down from a 19" and i noticed a small difference but I love my macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
ac3smith

ac3smith is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook w/ 2.16GHz Duo & 2GB RAM

Screen size is definitely subjective. I bought the macbook because it's so compact and I'm happy with that decision. Yes, I tried one out before I bought it. So, if you didn't like it on a first try, you very well might regret such a small screen. Personally, it rocks for me and I'm happy with my purchase. My eyes don't mind the smaller screen and this laptop is exactly what I wanted, very portable.
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

When I first opened the box, the screen was a little small. But once you use it for awhile, you dont even notice it anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
shoelessone

shoelessone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetwin View Post
26"? That's a strange size... 24", 30", 27", those are all pretty common... never have I seen a 26".

Don't want to derail the thread, but just out of curiosity what sort of display is it?
QUOTE Thanks
Stetwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelessone View Post
26"? That's a strange size... 24", 30", 27", those are all pretty common... never have I seen a 26".

Don't want to derail the thread, but just out of curiosity what sort of display is it?
Its a 26" Samsung HDTV (same model as the one they showcase the xbox 360 on) although i bought it about 2 years ago and cant remember the exact size, so it could possibly be 25", 27" or even 30"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .mac really that great? | media player 9 uninstall »