New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Best BOOK for a Switcher?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SoundsGood

SoundsGood is on a distinguished road

Can anyone suggest a good book for a Switcher?

I know Windows like the back of my hand, but don't know squat about how to use a Mac.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
shoelessone

shoelessone is on a distinguished road

Ha!

I'm in the same position and just made a similar post in another thread.

I was thinking about purchasing "Missing Manual: OSX" or whatever it's called, because it's by David Pogue and I like David Pogue, but I really want something in depth that covers not just "here is iPhoto, you can adjust the contrast by clicking adjustments!", but more of the core system "stuff" like how the OS works, what EXACTLY happens when I drag a program to the Applications folder, stuff about the registry, etc, etc.

I'd really like a recomendation too!
QUOTE Thanks
Justin_P

Justin_P is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD, 8600M GT, iPod Classic 80Gb

Definitely missing manual, great book
QUOTE Thanks
mongoloido

mongoloido is on a distinguished road

Scott Kelby: Mac OS X Killer Tips

I'm a big fan of his. I have his digital photography book too. As the description says, it's a collection of those great sidebar tips without the boring textbook.

It appeals to my tech A.D.D.
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelessone View Post
I was thinking about purchasing "Missing Manual: OSX"
But is that the best book for a "Switcher", or is that one better for someone that is already familiar with a Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
shoelessone

I've read it's good for a switcher.

At least according to the Amazon reviews.

That said, I really don't know, just what I've read from others

I've actually also heard (as was mentioned) that the "Tips" book is very good, though perhaps it's not so much focused at a Switcher, though I'd assuming it would still be just as useful for us.
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

Hey, I just found one called Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual.

Any comments on this one?
QUOTE Thanks
ArmyChief

ArmyChief will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive

Originally Posted by shoelessone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post
But is that the best book for a "Switcher", or is that one better for someone that is already familiar with a Mac?
I don't know if its the BEST book for a Switcher, but it is certainly a great book! I just got it yesterday, and I've already learned serveral new tricks. It's an awesome book that I think would be very helpful for switchers.

William
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
Originally Posted by shoelessone

I don't know if its the BEST book for a Switcher, but it is certainly a great book! I just got it yesterday, and I've already learned serveral new tricks. It's an awesome book that I think would be very helpful for switchers.

William
I bought it for the switch and it was the best money I have ever spent. After 6 months of ownership I can confidently say I am good with macs. The book still comes in handy now and then but its just for reference stuff.

Buy the missing manual then something more hands on down the road.

BTW Chief...are you the same chief from the M3 forum?
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

The "Killer Tips" book is very good, but it's not really a guide on how to switch. After about a month of using OS X I suggest you might like a read to pick on some of the more advanced stuff, or just how to do what you do quicker/easier.
QUOTE Thanks
shoelessone

Can I ask how experience you were previously with IBM compatibles (i.e. PCs)?

I know many of you used PCs for many years, but I'm wondering which (if any) of these books are good for "power users". I really don't want a book that covers things like how a computer works, or how to right click, etc.

I'd really like a book that discusses the HTF (or what have you) file system a bit (not in depth, just overall), how/why disk permissions seem to always get screwed up, as well as a basic overview of the Mac workflow/process (managing files after comming from a windows directory system, etc).

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
ArmyChief

ArmyChief will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo15 View Post
I bought it for the switch and it was the best money I have ever spent. After 6 months of ownership I can confidently say I am good with macs. The book still comes in handy now and then but its just for reference stuff.

Buy the missing manual then something more hands on down the road.

BTW Chief...are you the same chief from the M3 forum?
I'm not sure which M3 forum you are talking about, so it's probably not me. Are you in the military?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelessone View Post
Can I ask how experience you were previously with IBM compatibles (i.e. PCs)?

I know many of you used PCs for many years, but I'm wondering which (if any) of these books are good for "power users". I really don't want a book that covers things like how a computer works, or how to right click, etc.

I'd really like a book that discusses the HTF (or what have you) file system a bit (not in depth, just overall), how/why disk permissions seem to always get screwed up, as well as a basic overview of the Mac workflow/process (managing files after comming from a windows directory system, etc).

Thanks!
I've been working on PCs since 1987 and consider myself very PC knowledgeable. The Missing Manual looks pretty comprehensive. It's over 800 pages and covers terminal/unix commands, permissions, applescript, filesharing, hacking the Mac, etc. If you're a switcher, it also covers things basic to the Mac, like keystroke shortcuts and cool undocumented tricks.

I agree with kilo above. Buy this book now and then in six months, buy something more advanced.
QUOTE Thanks
shoelessone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
I've been working on PCs since 1987 and consider myself very PC knowledgeable. The Missing Manual looks pretty comprehensive. It's over 800 pages and covers terminal/unix commands, permissions, applescript, filesharing, hacking the Mac, etc. If you're a switcher, it also covers things basic to the Mac, like keystroke shortcuts and cool undocumented tricks.

I agree with kilo above. Buy this book now and then in six months, buy something more advanced.

Great, thanks for the advice

I am a bit nervous, I just got back from a local (small) bookstore and the only book they had was a "Macs for Dummies" book, and after skimming through it breifly I almost killed myself. Passages talking about how to click on a link and what a link is, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Mac OS X Unleashed is pretty good if you want to know more about OS X and system internals. Try it online and if you like it, buy it.
QUOTE Thanks
Sandwichman

Sandwichman will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD

(Just wanted to quickly say something that is, admittedly, a little off topic. My apologies.)

Quote:
...but more of the core system "stuff" like how the OS works, what EXACTLY happens when I drag a program to the Applications folder, stuff about the registry, etc, etc.
When you drag a program into the Applications folder, it just helps you keep track of where your programs are. And I think Apple uses the folder to update its apps (so they know exactly what folder they are in).

Oh, and there is no registry. That's a Windows-only feature, and not one I particularly miss!

Sitting, waiting, wishing...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video Cards which is better on MBP | Empty folders on Mac »