Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Mar 02, 2007
    Posts
    295
    Best BOOK for a Switcher?
    Can anyone suggest a good book for a Switcher?

    I know Windows like the back of my hand, but don't know squat about how to use a Mac.

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    shoelessone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 06, 2007
    Posts
    56
    Ha!

    I'm in the same position and just made a similar post in another thread.

    I was thinking about purchasing "Missing Manual: OSX" or whatever it's called, because it's by David Pogue and I like David Pogue, but I really want something in depth that covers not just "here is iPhoto, you can adjust the contrast by clicking adjustments!", but more of the core system "stuff" like how the OS works, what EXACTLY happens when I drag a program to the Applications folder, stuff about the registry, etc, etc.

    I'd really like a recomendation too!

  3. #3

    Justin_P's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 03, 2007
    Location
    West Sussex, United Kingdom
    Posts
    57
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD, 8600M GT, iPod Classic 80Gb
    Definitely missing manual, great book

  4. #4

    mongoloido's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 03, 2007
    Posts
    74
    Scott Kelby: Mac OS X Killer Tips

    I'm a big fan of his. I have his digital photography book too. As the description says, it's a collection of those great sidebar tips without the boring textbook.

    It appeals to my tech A.D.D.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Mar 02, 2007
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by shoelessone View Post
    I was thinking about purchasing "Missing Manual: OSX"
    But is that the best book for a "Switcher", or is that one better for someone that is already familiar with a Mac?

  6. #6

    shoelessone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 06, 2007
    Posts
    56
    I've read it's good for a switcher.

    At least according to the Amazon reviews.

    That said, I really don't know, just what I've read from others

    I've actually also heard (as was mentioned) that the "Tips" book is very good, though perhaps it's not so much focused at a Switcher, though I'd assuming it would still be just as useful for us.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Mar 02, 2007
    Posts
    295
    Hey, I just found one called Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual.

    Any comments on this one?

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Jun 22, 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    105
    Specs:
    MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
    Originally Posted by shoelessone
    I was thinking about purchasing "Missing Manual: OSX"

    Quote Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post
    But is that the best book for a "Switcher", or is that one better for someone that is already familiar with a Mac?
    I don't know if its the BEST book for a Switcher, but it is certainly a great book! I just got it yesterday, and I've already learned serveral new tricks. It's an awesome book that I think would be very helpful for switchers.

    William

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Jan 06, 2007
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
    Originally Posted by shoelessone
    I was thinking about purchasing "Missing Manual: OSX"



    I don't know if its the BEST book for a Switcher, but it is certainly a great book! I just got it yesterday, and I've already learned serveral new tricks. It's an awesome book that I think would be very helpful for switchers.

    William
    I bought it for the switch and it was the best money I have ever spent. After 6 months of ownership I can confidently say I am good with macs. The book still comes in handy now and then but its just for reference stuff.

    Buy the missing manual then something more hands on down the road.


    BTW Chief...are you the same chief from the M3 forum?

  10. #10

    Levi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 06, 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    681
    Specs:
    MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
    The "Killer Tips" book is very good, but it's not really a guide on how to switch. After about a month of using OS X I suggest you might like a read to pick on some of the more advanced stuff, or just how to do what you do quicker/easier.

  11. #11

    shoelessone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 06, 2007
    Posts
    56
    Can I ask how experience you were previously with IBM compatibles (i.e. PCs)?

    I know many of you used PCs for many years, but I'm wondering which (if any) of these books are good for "power users". I really don't want a book that covers things like how a computer works, or how to right click, etc.

    I'd really like a book that discusses the HTF (or what have you) file system a bit (not in depth, just overall), how/why disk permissions seem to always get screwed up, as well as a basic overview of the Mac workflow/process (managing files after comming from a windows directory system, etc).

    Thanks!

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Jun 22, 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    105
    Specs:
    MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by kilo15 View Post
    I bought it for the switch and it was the best money I have ever spent. After 6 months of ownership I can confidently say I am good with macs. The book still comes in handy now and then but its just for reference stuff.

    Buy the missing manual then something more hands on down the road.


    BTW Chief...are you the same chief from the M3 forum?
    I'm not sure which M3 forum you are talking about, so it's probably not me. Are you in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by shoelessone View Post
    Can I ask how experience you were previously with IBM compatibles (i.e. PCs)?

    I know many of you used PCs for many years, but I'm wondering which (if any) of these books are good for "power users". I really don't want a book that covers things like how a computer works, or how to right click, etc.

    I'd really like a book that discusses the HTF (or what have you) file system a bit (not in depth, just overall), how/why disk permissions seem to always get screwed up, as well as a basic overview of the Mac workflow/process (managing files after comming from a windows directory system, etc).

    Thanks!
    I've been working on PCs since 1987 and consider myself very PC knowledgeable. The Missing Manual looks pretty comprehensive. It's over 800 pages and covers terminal/unix commands, permissions, applescript, filesharing, hacking the Mac, etc. If you're a switcher, it also covers things basic to the Mac, like keystroke shortcuts and cool undocumented tricks.

    I agree with kilo above. Buy this book now and then in six months, buy something more advanced.

  13. #13

    shoelessone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 06, 2007
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
    I've been working on PCs since 1987 and consider myself very PC knowledgeable. The Missing Manual looks pretty comprehensive. It's over 800 pages and covers terminal/unix commands, permissions, applescript, filesharing, hacking the Mac, etc. If you're a switcher, it also covers things basic to the Mac, like keystroke shortcuts and cool undocumented tricks.

    I agree with kilo above. Buy this book now and then in six months, buy something more advanced.

    Great, thanks for the advice

    I am a bit nervous, I just got back from a local (small) bookstore and the only book they had was a "Macs for Dummies" book, and after skimming through it breifly I almost killed myself. Passages talking about how to click on a link and what a link is, etc.

  14. #14

    novicew's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2006
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    1,385
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
    Mac OS X Unleashed is pretty good if you want to know more about OS X and system internals. Try it online and if you like it, buy it.

  15. #15

    Sandwichman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 19, 2006
    Posts
    238
    Specs:
    iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
    (Just wanted to quickly say something that is, admittedly, a little off topic. My apologies.)

    ...but more of the core system "stuff" like how the OS works, what EXACTLY happens when I drag a program to the Applications folder, stuff about the registry, etc, etc.
    When you drag a program into the Applications folder, it just helps you keep track of where your programs are. And I think Apple uses the folder to update its apps (so they know exactly what folder they are in).

    Oh, and there is no registry. That's a Windows-only feature, and not one I particularly miss!
    Sitting, waiting, wishing...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2009, 07:30 AM
  2. Mac Book unibody or Mac Book Pro (early 2008)?
    By miu in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-06-2008, 01:26 PM
  3. Help with Verizon Aircards for Power Book G4 & Mac Book Pro
    By brucie1dog in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2008, 01:59 AM
  4. Mac book pro for switcher?
    By Armenante in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-24-2006, 03:36 AM
  5. mini vs p/book switcher
    By richieg in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2005, 11:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •