New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

POP3 and G-mail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ginger Pilot

Ginger Pilot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz iPhone 3G 16GB

Having switched from my PC months ago, I've final decided to ditch my hotmail account as the HTTP mail plug in I have keeps playing up. It keeps asking for my password which is in keychains, looking around it seems it's a bug in mail. I can't use my isp's pop3 address as I can't send E-mail via their smtp server unless I'm on my home account and I use my lap top all over the place.

I need a large mail account which I can visit on line and use with mail. I've looked at a mac.com address, but as I have my own domain it's no good as it doesn't allow me to set my own E-mail address.

Has anybody used G-mail? Is it reliable, I guess I can use it's smtp server to send mail from any where. If not can you recommend an alternative?

GP
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

You need to rehost your domain some place where they let you set up your own e-mail. I've done this and it works great, makes life a lot easier and I can use my e-mail on my iBook while on the road.

G-Mail works fine as well. I have an account that I can access from both my computers (send/receive), although I don;t use it that often. Their instructions for making it work with Apple Mail are pretty good and it's easy to set up. You also get the advantage of being able to check it on-line from any computer with Web access.

QUOTE Thanks
-Oy-

-Oy- is on a distinguished road

I use Gmail on my Macbook pro - it works a treat!

Home - Macbook Pro 15" : 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo : 2Gb RAM

Work - Mac Pro : 2.66 Ghz Quad core : 5Gb RAM : Twin 20" Cinema displays
QUOTE Thanks
chrisgrieve

chrisgrieve is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4 (tiger) 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 320Gb Hard Drive, (leopard)

hi there,

yes i use gmail, i find it really good as i can view it both from online and from mail. also you can archive your mail through the website meaning you will never lose your important emails. i ditched my hotmail for gmail a couple months ago as i kept receiving junk email. also it is really easy to set up with apple mail.

chrisgrieve
QUOTE Thanks
shoelessone

shoelessone is on a distinguished road

I really love gmail and am a bit of a fanboy of most google products in general. That said, I think the features gmail provides are spectacular, and even Apple could possibly learn a thing or 2 from some of gmails interface elements.

That said, I've been only mildly lucky setting up gmail with OSX iMail or whatever. I have managed to download all 8000+ messages in my gmail account, however none of my folders (aka lables) show up. So I basically have 8049 new email messages in my inbox. It's annoying. I was/am hoping not to have to go through and set up all of my folders/filters/etc, but I am pretty sure I'm going to have to.

Also, dumb question: If I send an email though iMail on my mac using my gmail account, will it add to the "sent items" in the web version of gmail automatically?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

1) It's Mail, not iMail.

2) I'm pretty sure it does. I don't check my Google Mail on-line much, but last time I looked there was bunch of sent stuff that could only have come from sending mail from Mail.

QUOTE Thanks
Dark

Dark is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black macbook, Black 5G 60gig IPOD

i prefer gmail over any other 'free' email site. i have it setup on all 3 of my laptops along with my moto q phone.

Black MacBook
Intel C2D
2gig DDR2-667
100gig 7200rpm HDD

QUOTE Thanks
Ginger Pilot

Ginger Pilot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz iPhone 3G 16GB

Guys,

As always thanks for your help and suggestions. In the end I've managed to get my domain host to offer full e-mail for £14 a year. Thanks Baggss for the idea.

GP
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac mail | vlc for .bin? »