New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

how to format drives on mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

otjatt

otjatt is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am relatively new to the mac world...and am still getting used to the OS.
I am trying to figure out how to simply format a connected drive, such as a usb flash drive or my ipod when it is connect to my mbp. I am used to just having that option available by right clicking it in windows but have no clue how to do it in mac os x. Anyone know how this is done?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
ambivalent

ambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - iPhone

heeyyy i forgot that i really wanted to know this.

with an ipod you can 'reset' it in itunes, same thing.
but i would like to know how to with a usb flash drive, after many uses when you 'delete' everything it still has invisible files, or something. says it has no space.

She figured out that the only way to keep from being frozen was to stay in motion,
and long ago converted most of her flesh into liquid.
Now when she smells danger, she spills herself all over, like gasoline, and lights it.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Open Disk Utility, and select the drive you want to erase. In the 'Volume Format' field, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) will make it readable & writable only on Mac. MS-DOS will make it readable & writable on both Mac and Windows.

Then just select a name and click 'Erase'.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

If you reformat your iPod with Disc Utility, it will no longer function as an iPod until you do a "Restore" in iTunes. iTunes "Restore" is basically just a reformat, but it preserves the iPod as an iPod.

QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent View Post
but i would like to know how to with a usb flash drive, after many uses when you 'delete' everything it still has invisible files, or something. says it has no space.
Are you emptying your trash? On OS X, when you "delete" something, all the OS does it move it to an invisible folder called .Trashes (the "." before the name signifies a hidden folder/file on OS X) on the same volume (so it still takes up the same amount of space). To actually delete it you need to empty your trash.
QUOTE Thanks
otjatt

otjatt is on a distinguished road

yea got it to work! thanks for the advice...and I never realized that you need to empty the trash for it to actually delete files.. cuz i tried deleting some files that i had thrown on my ipod and found that the amount of free space had not changed....Good to know..thanks levi!

15" MBP 2.16GHz C2D 2GB RAM 120GB--30GB iPod--8GB Nano--Canon Rebel XT w/ Canon 17-85mm USM IS, 50mm f/1.8--Canon SD870 IS
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« g4 dvi support? | Mom East coast Mac, me West coast PC »