New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Most annoying thing about Mac OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ge64

Ge64 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM

Well, after a few 'favorite features' and 'top 10 reasons to buy' threads, it might be fair to have one of these Im sure it'll only be minor things

For switchers only, what are the differences between Windows (assuming most people who switch are used to windows) and Mac OS X Tiger that you find annoying rather than pleasant? Post it here, and maybe they can even be fixed with a hidden setting or tweak!

(P.S. No posts about programs that dont work eg)

(For experienced users, you can help if you like by identifying annoyances that can actually be fixed by a pref or setting somewhere)

Heres mine:
  • I dont like the way windows refuse to maximize, sometimes I just want a window to cover the whole screen even if it doesnt need to be that big
  • I dont like how all open programs are in the dock. e.g. Google Desktop, which does nothing until you press the Apple key twice, still takes up valuable dock space.
  • I would have liked to move finder to another place on the Dock.
QUOTE Thanks
mongoloido

mongoloido is on a distinguished road

Not sure it's really a bad thing, but I think I still have to pay attention when closing apps in Windows and OS X to make sure I did it correctly.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge64
Heres mine:
I dont like the way windows refuse to maximize, sometimes I just want a window to cover the whole screen even if it doesnt need to be that big
I dont like how all open programs are in the dock. e.g. Google Desktop, which does nothing until you press the Apple key twice, still takes up valuable dock space.
I would have liked to move finder to another place on the Dock.
Well we're off to a good start then

- Maximize issue: Megazoomr
- Remove running apps from the dock: Dockless
QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

Ninjab3ar has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

Pressing 'Enter' when you have an app highlighted in finder renames it rather than opening it.

and

No 'Cut and Paste'
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

The one I can think of is when you use spotlight, it is not always obvious where the file is immediately - you may just need to know the location of a file, rather than want to launch it.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Just the slowness you can suffer if you have a few programs open.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge64 View Post
Well, after a few 'favorite features' and 'top 10 reasons to buy' threads, it might be fair to have one of these Im sure it'll only be minor things

For switchers only, what are the differences between Windows (assuming most people who switch are used to windows) and Mac OS X Tiger that you find annoying rather than pleasant? Post it here, and maybe they can even be fixed with a hidden setting or tweak!

(P.S. No posts about programs that dont work eg)

(For experienced users, you can help if you like by identifying annoyances that can actually be fixed by a pref or setting somewhere)

Heres mine:
  • I dont like the way windows refuse to maximize, sometimes I just want a window to cover the whole screen even if it doesnt need to be that big
  • I dont like how all open programs are in the dock. e.g. Google Desktop, which does nothing until you press the Apple key twice, still takes up valuable dock space.
  • I would have liked to move finder to another place on the Dock.
I don't find the maximize thing to be an issue. It was a little strange at first, but after I manually resized safari to cover almost the whole screen, we haven't had any arguements since.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
vxd

vxd can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjab3ar View Post

No 'Cut and Paste'

I agree!
QUOTE Thanks
Ge64

Ge64 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM

I agree on the cut & paste, and the enter when selected part as well.

Also on my (normal) keyboard the Home and End keys dont work, and on the MBP keyboard I havent find out how to work them either... and I use them pretty often when i correct a mistake in a sentence to skip back to the end and continue typing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Well we're off to a good start then

- Maximize issue: Megazoomr
- Remove running apps from the dock: Dockless
Thanks, thats what i was secretly hoping for

www.endlessparadigm.com - forum for fun people

Irssi, client of the future
QUOTE Thanks
cheez

cheez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb

I dont like the maximize thing, i dont like when i press the x button to close an app that the app is not quiting, pressing enter renames and last but not least no CUT!! >.<
Now im used to those things but still cut is a big big prob -.-"

Everything Happens For A Reason That Serves You...
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

SoundsGood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjab3ar View Post
No 'Cut and Paste'
No Cut & Paste?

Huh?

No Cut & Paste ???

How can that be?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
The one I can think of is when you use spotlight, it is not always obvious where the file is immediately - you may just need to know the location of a file, rather than want to launch it.
A workaround:
Instead of 'Command+Space' hit 'Option+Command+Space'.

This will open the extended spotlight results window. Then enter your search and use the arrow keys to scroll to your result. Hit 'Command+R' and it'll show you the file in Finder.

It seems like a lot to remember, but it's actually quite convenient when you get used to it. Command+R will work in a lot of other apps as well.

Or just use Quicksilver of course
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge64 View Post
I agree on the cut & paste, and the enter when selected part as well.

Also on my (normal) keyboard the Home and End keys dont work, and on the MBP keyboard I havent find out how to work them either... and I use them pretty often when i correct a mistake in a sentence to skip back to the end and continue typing...
On my german keyboard, 'Command+ left/right arrow' jump to the beginning or end of a sentence.
QUOTE Thanks
-Jack

-Jack can only hope to improve

Quote:
No Cut & Paste?

Huh?

No Cut & Paste ???

How can that be?
NO CUT AND PASTE !!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!

I will die without that

how am i ment to do my homework?
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

You CAN Cut and Paste text. But not applications or files.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing Apps | Purchasing on September 29th – Should I wait?? »