New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Desktop shortcuts?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stevo-m

stevo-m is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb

I'm looking for a way to make shortcuts on the Desktop to folders such as Applications, Pictures, Movies, etc. Is there a way to do this? When I tried copy/paste it just attempted to duplicate all the contents of the folders, which I obviously don't want. There is no 'make alias' option in the menu when you right-click on these folders.
QUOTE Thanks
EliteKilla01

EliteKilla01 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17 " iMac Core2Duo, 2GHz Processor, 1 Gig of RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.3

Just drag and drop the folders right next to where the trash can is located.
QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

Ninjab3ar has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteKilla01 View Post
Just drag and drop the folders right next to where the trash can is located.
Well actually, thats a dock icon. However, I find those better than actual desktop shortcuts. Im at work and dont have my Mac with me, so I wont be able to play around and figure out how (because I KNOW Its possible).
QUOTE Thanks
-Jack

-Jack can only hope to improve

i dont think you can make shortcuts but you can put the actual file there on your desktop. by dragging it
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Drag the folder to the Desktop with option+command pressed - that will create a shortcut. You can tell when it'll create a shortcut by the little curved black arrow. If you get a green + symbol then it'll copy.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
stevo-m

stevo-m is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
Drag the folder to the Desktop with option+command pressed - that will create a shortcut. You can tell when it'll create a shortcut by the little curved black arrow. If you get a green + symbol then it'll copy.
Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

In OS X shortcuts are called aliases.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« YEY! I got my new MacBook!!!!! | Alternatives for iTunes and Winamp »