New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Are there as many mac games as windows?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shadow

I wanna switch to mac but i wanna play games. Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
I wanna switch to mac but i wanna play games. Thanks for the help.
Well, the short answer is no, there really aren't as many of the popular games available for OS X as there are for Windows. Unfortunately, if you're switching to Mac as a gamer, you're probably better off sticking to a Windows machine. I don't play many computer games (I use PS2 and Xbox for any games that I play), but if I did, I'd have a PC for gaming and a Mac for everything else.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Shadow

oo ok. thanks. in this case i wont switch. But the eMac looks awesome though.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
oo ok. thanks. in this case i wont switch. But the eMac looks awesome though.
It is awesome. I would definitely suggest getting one, and just keeping your current computer for any games that you can't find for the Mac. You'll absolutely love the eMac.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

well, I hear with the introduction of Virtual PC 7(Soon) that it will support all of our 3d graphics cards....So...Theoretically you should be able to play all those games!....except..on a mac!
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

Graeme43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I love student discount (sig)

The biggest price you pay when switching.. is that there is less games, but all the recent & decent ones like Call Of Duty, UT2004 etc have been ported

The eMac is awesome, I originally went to get one but got an iBook instead

iBook G3 (2001) 500MHz 384 RAM 9.2.2 / 10.2.8
Titanium PowerBook G4 (2001) 500MHz 768 RAM 9.2.2/10.2.8
Mac Pro (2007) 4x2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, 10.6.7
iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

I just kept my PC for gaming, and use my Mac for everything else. PCs are so cheap and fast now days, it's pretty easy to just keep a spare around for games.
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Yea keep a PC for gaming. Mac and Gaming don't really 'gel' together for most games.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

windows has tons more games, but mac has enough of the good ones.

but hey its why we have a console eh?
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
but hey its why we have a console eh?

No, of course not. I enjoy gaming on a computer more than on a console connected to the TV. Maybe its 'coz I like FPS games and accuracy on a computer is better and games are more customizable.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of

I usta be the same way... 19 years on computers gaming away... 1 year on a console and an xbox at that and ive gotta say.. HALO rules on that beast.
QUOTE Thanks
Mouse26

Sadly, the Mac is not a Gamers machine. It just isn't, it's not that they're not powerful, it's just that all we get is dodgy conversion that vary in their quality.

Virtual PC is dooooog slow (even on a G5 powermac) for games so don't even think about it!

Having said that, Unreal Tournament 2004 runs silky smooth even on a 12" powerbook and looks fantastic, so there's hope for us yet.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

90% of the games for Mac are worth playing, and are written well. The only good PC games are about 10% of their market. And we get about 90% of that 10%.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I tend to agree with the console approach
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Yes, there are a lot of good games for Macs, but the selection still isn't GREAT. I mean, it's good, though, but there are still a lot of good PC-only games out there.

--Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games are for Macs (the guy himself was even a spokesperson for iLife '04!)

--Halo is for Macs

--Counter Strike aren't for Macs

--Grand Theft Auto games aren't for Macs

--Farcry isn't for Macs

--Battlefield Vietnam isn't for Macs

--GCN, N64, PSX, and PS2 emulators aren't available for Macs (they're barely available for PCs, actually, but still to a greater extent than for Macs) The only good PSX emulator for Macs is a cancelled one called Virtual Game Station, but all it does is take the place of a PSX, not the games. You still actually have to physically own the game so you can insert the CD.

So, these are just a few examples.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just ordered a Powerbook G4! | G3 vs. G4 benchmarks? »