New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

i just bought a 17'' powerbook!!!


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Quashu

 
Member Since: Feb 15, 2006
Posts: 51
Quashu is on a distinguished road

Quashu is offline
Hello everyone!! I finally bought my first mac (from fleabay )
Based on the spec,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3292&rd=1&rd=1

can someone tell me if there's anything that I should get? like more memory? Is 1Gb enough? I don't play games but I use it for multimedia purpose I was planning on dual booting windows vista.

Also, since I didn't do a lot of research before I bit on it, so I don't know if i paid a fair price for it.
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

 
Member Since: Jun 15, 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 270
Title27GT can only hope to improve

Title27GT is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quashu View Post
Hello everyone!! I finally bought my first mac (from fleabay )
Based on the spec,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3292&rd=1&rd=1

can someone tell me if there's anything that I should get? like more memory? Is 1Gb enough? I don't play games but I use it for multimedia purpose I was planning on dual booting windows vista.

Also, since I didn't do a lot of research before I bit on it, so I don't know if i paid a fair price for it.
I'm sorry, but I really don't think you got a very good deal on that. 850 dollars for a used PowerBook G4? Sheesh! With that you could have gotten a high end windows laptop. Maybe you should've looked at some more options. a PowerBook G4 at the most should sell for 300-400 dollars.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

 
KoDorSean's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 03, 2006
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 2,374
KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

KoDorSean is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Title27GT View Post
I'm sorry, but I really don't think you got a very good deal on that. 850 dollars for a used PowerBook G4? Sheesh! With that you could have gotten a high end windows laptop. Maybe you should've looked at some more options. a PowerBook G4 at the most should sell for 300-400 dollars.
I dissagree.. I think its a good deal.. you can never go wrong with more memory.


I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

 
Member Since: Jan 01, 2007
Location: Cow Town, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,991
iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

iRye is offline
3-400? That's not nearly enough. Maybe for a powerbook 12 inch base model with a huge dent in it!
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

 
Member Since: Jun 15, 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 270
Title27GT can only hope to improve

Title27GT is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRye View Post
3-400? That's not nearly enough. Maybe for a powerbook 12 inch base model with a huge dent in it!
It still uses a PowerPC processor!
You could've gotten a Mac mini!
QUOTE Thanks
softtack

 
softtack's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 01, 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 72
softtack is on a distinguished road

softtack is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quashu View Post
Hello everyone!! I finally bought my first mac (from fleabay )
Based on the spec,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3292&rd=1&rd=1

can someone tell me if there's anything that I should get? like more memory? Is 1Gb enough? I don't play games but I use it for multimedia purpose I was planning on dual booting windows vista.

Also, since I didn't do a lot of research before I bit on it, so I don't know if i paid a fair price for it.
Not to be a kill joy but you can't dual boot Windows Vista. It has a G4 processor, not an Intel processor. If I were you, I would've spent a little more and bought a used Macbook Pro instead of that, especially since a lot of the software for Mac is going to be optimized for x86 processors.

QUOTE Thanks
dekan

 
dekan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 16, 2007
Posts: 756
dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

dekan is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Title27GT View Post
It still uses a PowerPC processor!
You could've gotten a Mac mini!
Don't compare bananas with apples - I guess he wanted a notebook and not a desktop solution.

but I agree - for just a bit more he could have bought a macbook - has a smaller screen though but would be faster, intel and ready for his Vista parallel boot.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

 
Member Since: Apr 19, 2007
Posts: 780
smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

smurfy is offline
With that moneh you could have gotten a modern MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

 
Member Since: Jun 15, 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 270
Title27GT can only hope to improve

Title27GT is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by softtack View Post
Not to be a kill joy but you can't dual boot Windows Vista. It has a G4 processor, not an Intel processor. If I were you, I would've spent a little more and bought a used Macbook Pro instead of that, especially since a lot of the software for Mac is going to be optimized for x86 processors.
Yea, if not a new MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
Quashu

 
Member Since: Feb 15, 2006
Posts: 51
Quashu is on a distinguished road

Quashu is offline
Oh!! no! I didn't know powerpc cannot dual boot windows.....


I should have post on this forum before buying it..

Now I am sad because I need to use microsoft word and excel.
I already have microsoft office 2007 cd and I can't afford to buy the word+excel software for mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

 
Member Since: Jun 15, 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 270
Title27GT can only hope to improve

Title27GT is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quashu View Post
Oh!! no! I didn't know powerpc cannot dual boot windows.....


I should have post on this forum before buying it..

Now I am sad because I need to use microsoft word and excel.
I already have microsoft office 2007 cd and I can't afford to buy the word+excel software for mac.
Just imagine, you could have a brand new MacBook duel booting XP or Vista but now you're stuck with a used Powerbook running a PowerPC processor.
QUOTE Thanks
Quashu

 
Member Since: Feb 15, 2006
Posts: 51
Quashu is on a distinguished road

Quashu is offline
question: when leopard comes out, can i install it on my powerbook?
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

 
Member Since: Jun 15, 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 270
Title27GT can only hope to improve

Title27GT is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quashu View Post
question: when leopard comes out, can i install it on my powerbook?
Yes. I believe it will work on all G4 machines.
QUOTE Thanks
softtack

 
softtack's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 01, 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 72
softtack is on a distinguished road

softtack is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Title27GT View Post
Just imagine, you could have a brand new MacBook duel booting XP or Vista but now you're stuck with a used Powerbook running a PowerPC processor.
Ouch, don't rub it in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quashu View Post
Oh!! no! I didn't know powerpc cannot dual boot windows.....


I should have post on this forum before buying it..

Now I am sad because I need to use microsoft word and excel.
I already have microsoft office 2007 cd and I can't afford to buy the word+excel software for mac.
Sadly, I cringed at your posted when you said that you didn't research much before purchasing. The only help I can offer is to see if you can sell your copy of Office 2007 and buy Mac Office 2004 instead. Or you can download OpenOffice for now and buy Office 2008 when you get the money.

QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

 
Member Since: Jun 15, 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 270
Title27GT can only hope to improve

Title27GT is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by softtack View Post
Ouch, don't rub it in...


Sadly, I cringed at your posted when you said that you didn't research much before purchasing. The only help I can offer is to see if you can sell your copy of Office 2007 and buy Mac Office 2004 instead. Or you can download OpenOffice for now and buy Office 2008 when you get the money.
Research is KEY when it comes to buying a computer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« to wait or not to wait! | My iMac is Stuck in Sleep Mode! »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Thinking about switching - powerbook questions solarith Switcher Hangout 7 10-19-2005 10:13 AM
New Powerbook OS on old Powerbook tigercharge OS X - Operating System 1 06-29-2005 08:50 PM
just bought a new powerbook! BrianH Apple Notebooks 13 06-10-2005 12:31 PM
Powerbook won't sleep msett Apple Notebooks 5 10-06-2003 01:00 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?