New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook vs. Macbook Pro Questions...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SoundsGood

SoundsGood is on a distinguished road

After using a PC for longer than I care to admit I am once again considering a switch to a Mac. To be honest, it is Parallels (specifically Parallels Coherence) that is pushing me towards a Mac.

Anyway, I prefer the small size of the Macbook, but the weight of the Macbook Pro is similar... and I'm torn. So, for the "switchers" that are familiar with both models:

* Which one is easier to type on?

* Which runs hotter?

* What's the battery life difference between the two?

* Do the Macbooks still have that "hard edge" problem (wrists getting hurt on the wristpad)?

* Any other known problems? (on either machine?)

* Other than game playing (which I don't do) and a backlit keyboard (not sure I'd make use of it) are there any compelling reasons to buy one over the other?

I've got other questions as well... but this should help prepare me before visiting the local Apple store for a hands-on comparison.

Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Pros have bigger screen and a faster processor.
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
Pros have bigger screen...
That one I already knew...
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Title27GT can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post
After using a PC for longer than I care to admit I am once again considering a switch to a Mac. To be honest, it is Parallels (specifically Parallels Coherence) that is pushing me towards a Mac.

Anyway, I prefer the small size of the Macbook, but the weight of the Macbook Pro is similar... and I'm torn. So, for the "switchers" that are familiar with both models:

* Which one is easier to type on?

* Which runs hotter?

* What's the battery life difference between the two?

* Do the Macbooks still have that "hard edge" problem (wrists getting hurt on the wristpad)?

* Any other known problems? (on either machine?)

* Other than game playing (which I don't do) and a backlit keyboard (not sure I'd make use of it) are there any compelling reasons to buy one over the other?

I've got other questions as well... but this should help prepare me before visiting the local Apple store for a hands-on comparison.

Thanks for the help!
1. Probably the MBP because the MacBook has sharp edges. I'm not saying it cuts your wrist, because I got used to typing on the MB and I'm an even better typer than before. Now when I type on my sister's MBP it feels like I'm back to a PC.

2. They both run pretty Hot. There were some issues with the first-generation MacBooks that they ran hot doing almost anything but if you ask anyone today they'll tell you the kinks got worked out. It's sort of a tie.

3. MacBook has a 6 hour battery life whereas the MBPs are constrained to about 4-5 hours.

4. Like I said, it's not really that bad. You just have to angle more towards the keyboard. Don't worry you won't be in any awkward positions trying to save your wrists. Mostly people who have problems with the edges come from a background of Desktop computers.

5.Not really, you're getting a snappy computer with a darn good processor either way.

6.You know what? I say no. The MacBook is powerful (more powerful than most laptops out there) and will do everything you need it do and then some. The MBP is really graphics-heavy and is designed for PROFESSIONAL users (in the field of some sort of multimedia production). The MBP feels really awkward sitting on my lap. It's practically wider than my hips and its harder to type, whereas the MacBook sits directly on your lap, perfectly squared, light and sleek, easy to use.

IMO:
MacBook Wins for you.
QUOTE Thanks
softtack

softtack is on a distinguished road

It's more based on personal preference and the type of work you'd be doing on your Mac that would be the deciding factor. When you go to the Apple store and actually get to use them, you'll know by instinct which will be a better match for you. I personally need the power and dedicated graphics of the MBP, and dare I say, it looks better than the MB.

I'd like to add on a couple of Title27GT's answers:
3) Realistically, the MB will get around 4 hours or so and the MBPs will get around 3.5 hours under normal usage.

4) The "hard edge" problem on the MB, like Title27GT said, isn't really that bad. However, on the MBPs, you can place the entire lower half of your arm on the wrist area, it's pretty funny.

5) While there aren't technically any problems (yet) with the current batch of MBs and MBPs, they do get hot underneath so you might want to watch out for that. I think the misapplied thermal paste problem is still happening today on the MBPs, but don't hold me to that.

QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Thanks Softtack, I failed to mention that the battery life examples I gave were for when you weren't using wi-fi, watching a movie, bluetooth turned off, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

Ninjab3ar has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Title27GT View Post
Thanks Softtack, I failed to mention that the battery life examples I gave were for when you weren't using wi-fi, watching a movie, bluetooth turned off, etc.
Not even that. The battery stats that Apple lists are all that you mentioned, but with the screen off, and not running any processes.

Realistically, you can get 2.5-3hr on a MacBook Pro (from experience), and about (correct me if I'm wrong) 3-4hr on a MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjab3ar View Post
Not even that. The battery stats that Apple lists are all that you mentioned, but with the screen off, and not running any processes.

Realistically, you can get 2.5-3hr on a MacBook Pro (from experience), and about (correct me if I'm wrong) 3-4hr on a MacBook.
Yes. Using Wi-Fi on a MacBook you're going to get about 3.75 hours and on a MBP about 2.7 hours.
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

All great info. Thanks, guys!
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

Quote:
6.You know what? I say no. The MacBook is powerful (more powerful than most laptops out there) and will do everything you need it do and then some. The MBP is really graphics-heavy and is designed for PROFESSIONAL users (in the field of some sort of multimedia production). The MBP feels really awkward sitting on my lap. It's practically wider than my hips and its harder to type, whereas the MacBook sits directly on your lap, perfectly squared, light and sleek, easy to use.
Especially this info. It's the kind of stuff you can't get from a visit to an Apple store. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

Ninjab3ar has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

Quote:
Especially this info. It's the kind of stuff you can't get from a visit to an Apple store. Thanks!
Yeah, I come here whenever I have a question. If you go to an apple store, the salepeople are like "yes-men". They'll give you an answer you like (even if its not the best solution) justo make you buy a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Quote:
Glad to help.
*gently grabs your hand and guides your mouse to the add reputation button*
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

Quote:
*gently grabs your hand and guides your mouse to the add reputation button*
(done!)
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Quote:
(done!)
Sometimes, doing the wrong thing can feel so right.
*William Shatner*
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

Quote:
Sometimes, doing the wrong thing can feel so right.
You're welcome.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help setting up Alias and a few other things | The most basic Mac queries EVER... »