New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Connect to TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zyepod

zyepod is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 500GB HDD OSX 10.9.3

Need a little help connecting my macbook to my tv. I'm thinking of down-loading movies and playing them on my tv via my macbook. The problem here is I've misplaced my macbook manual. I was thinking I could connect using the firewire port (480 I think). My tv will accept a computer via a Cat-5 port I think...
QUOTE Thanks
softtack

softtack is on a distinguished road

You'll either need to use a VGA or composite connector. Apple sells adapters for both from the Macbook's Mini-DVI port to the appropriate connector for your TV.

Firewire and Ethernet are used for transferring data, not video signals.

QUOTE Thanks
zyepod

Thanks... I clicked on your composite link there and the mini-dvi to video adapter looks good...
QUOTE Thanks
visualpurple

visualpurple has a spectacular aura about

I just bought the video adapter a couple weeks ago, just to watch movies and stuff on my TV... I just have a plain 27" tube TV, but video looks great on it. It looks just like you are watching a DVD. FYI you need to buy a separate audio adapter though; either hook the MB up to external speakers, or buy a headphone->composite audio adapter at Radio Shack.
QUOTE Thanks
zyepod

Thanks for the reply visualpurple... Now that you’re saying that I bet I want get Dolby Digital 5.1... If not I'm not... Well... Might not be worth the effort... That sound makes a big difference...
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyepod View Post
Thanks for the reply visualpurple... Now that you’re saying that I bet I want get Dolby Digital 5.1... If not I'm not... Well... Might not be worth the effort... That sound makes a big difference...
My understanding is that the audio out of the Macbook does optical 5.1 Dolby Digital through the line-out, and if you get an adapter that goes from the 1/8" jack to optical-in to a 5.1 receiver, you should be able to also get 5.1 Surround. I don't have such a device that has optical in with which to test, but that is my understanding of what the sound output options you may have.

As an aside, I just assisted my brother in law who has a Macbook and just got Apple TV. He was having problems getting it hooked up to his wireless network, so we got on a video chat with iChat AV and I was able to walk him through getting the MAC address filtering set up for his router to get his ATV to connect. Something that would have been cumbersome just over the phone. Kind of all, 'Jetsons' like.
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

would the composite device be suitable for outputting video from final cut studio to a TV / monitor?
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

yes vaughan80
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | All My Documents gone. HELP !!! »