New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Panther or Tiger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Magneto

Magneto is on a distinguished road

I have a ibook g4 that I need to re-install mac os X on. My father gave me the laptop but misplaced the system disks. I am curious if I should install Panther or Tiger on it. The ram is 256 mb which is the minimum for Tiger. And also, where is the cheapest place to buy either of these? Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

i would go with panther unless you want to buy some RAM. you can get a 512 stick of RAM pretty cheap now days. i have both systems at home and i like tiger a lot more.

QUOTE Thanks
Magneto

How much can you get 512 of ram and where is the best place to buy it? Is it hard to install? I am an idiot when it comes to computer stuff. Any other opinions?
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice

there are a few how to's around the web for adding RAM to an iBook. It is simple. go to crucial.com and use the RAM finder tool to look for RAM. once you found it there, use the specs to shop around for RAM. CompUSA has it from 42.99 for 512.

QUOTE Thanks
Magneto

So if I already have 256 mb do I only need to buy another 256 mb or do I need to buy 512 mb? I know you're probably shaking your head at these dumb questions. Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

I run Tiger on my iBook G4 800 with 384MB of ram which was OK, but not great. Then, after a while, I upgraded to 1.1GB and that was just a blast. Loved it!
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

i do not know the stats on your iBook. Mine came with 256 built in and i added 26 when i bought it for a total of 512. if yours is the same as mine (i think it is) then adding 512 makes 768 which is even better.

QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
So if I already have 256 mb do I only need to buy another 256 mb or do I need to buy 512 mb? I know you're probably shaking your head at these dumb questions. Thanks for your help.
The iBook should have 128 on it's board - mine had anyway. So with one 512 stick you should have 640 MB. That's what the "About my mac" pnel should show.

I payed 300 CAD for my 1GB stick, but that was also quite a while ago - and worth every cent!

There is only one bank in your iBook. If you want 512MB, you have to get one of those. Still have the 256 I took out of mine somewhere flying around...

EDIT: didn't know there are some with 256 build in. Yah, that is even better!
QUOTE Thanks
Magneto

Alright well I guess I got some options to think about. I know that when I look under the keyboard it states that it has 256mb of ram. I dorked up the machine already and can't boot it up because I don't have mac os x installed anymore. So, I guess I need to decide between panther which it was running before or upping my ram to at least 512 and buying tiger. Decisions, decisions.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

what processor and processor speed does it have?

QUOTE Thanks
Magneto

You know I don't have it with me right now but I will check and pm you with the information when I get a chance. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Magneto

It is a ibook G4 800 mHz, 256 mb, 30 gb, combo. I hope that is what you are looking for.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Max out the RAM for cheap and go with Tiger.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

http://www.lowendmac.com/ibooks/g4-12.html

That should be your machine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook pro issues! PLEASE HELP! | Got My Macbook Today...One Problem Though. »