New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Multimedia Database... how to?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JeffreyLloyd

JeffreyLloyd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard

I want to make a database of all my music? Any simple programs that will help me do that besides just putting them in a word or text document?

I have three ways to store my media. One on my iMac, one on my portable hard-drive and then on CDs. I want to make a database program that works like this:

Title - Album - Location

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

hmmm... I like that question :-) me, as a geek, I would probably get a mac mini, install a webserver and a mysql database on it and do some stuff with php. front-end and back-end:

back-end adds songs to the DB (you can do so many cool things with php to browse whole folders and hds,....) and you can even have many tables for the genres, descriptions, ratings, aso.

the front-end would be there to search for songs. you cound find certain songs, look for genres, highest ratings,...

The possibilities are endless :-) Man, I would have so much fun doing that. and if you have a permanent internet connection, you could forward a certain port form your router to your mac mini and you can access it from anywhere.

Ok, sorry, I stop now

Edit: All that you can do on your iMac as well - I just think it's more fun on a separate machine
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I really hate to say this, but...

You could use Excel or another spreadsheet such as what is found in OpenOffice or NeoOffice which I beleive also has a database modules.

You could search for 'database' on Versiontracker.com and see what might meet your fancy. With a few more words in the search box, you might find something more exacting to your needs.

I'm with dekan on this one as I like reinventing the wheel sometimes. And of course there is this hot new iPhone you could developer for.

Of course, you could look into Delicious Library too. I'm not sure if there is a way to handle 'location' though.
QUOTE Thanks
JeffreyLloyd

AppleWorks 6 had a database program

It's kind of old, I've been messing around with it and will look at Open and Neo Office.
QUOTE Thanks
JeffreyLloyd

Well, I downloaded NeoOffice and I didn't like the cluncky database program. So I just did the easy way out and used NeoOffice's word program. I'm happy with it since it loads a lot faster then Word for Mac.

Thanks for the help guys!
QUOTE Thanks
RobW

RobW is on a distinguished road

I wanted something similar for my DVD collection but I didn't want to build it. I found this product ($19.99) and it is the most comprehensive application to date. They have databases for movies, games, music and books. I highly recommend as they come with a lot of features including customizable fields and data that is downloadable from the Internet. Here is the link to their website:

http://www.bruji.com/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft User Data Folder... go away! | Photoshop CS2 question. »