New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Common Solution, Simple execution?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hunkerpularama

hunkerpularama is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP SR 2.2GHz

All over the forum i have found people saying that using an ethernet cable to transfer files between an old PC and a new Mac is the best/cheapest/fastest way to transfer files.
I found these instructions on the Apple website:
Direct connect
To move files by connecting your Mac directly to your PC:

Connect your Mac to your PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
Make sure that both computers are turned on.
In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu to open the window.
Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using one of these formats:
smb://DNSname/ShareName
smb://IPaddress/ShareName
Click Connect.
Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup name, user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access.
Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.
Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to anywhere on your Mac.
When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.

Can anyone explain what the smb://DNSname/ShareName
smb://IPaddress/ShareName bit means?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
softtack

softtack is on a distinguished road

I'll use an example to make things easier:

smb://DNSname/ShareName

DNSname = Name of your PC (To find, right click My Computer, click the "Computer Name" tab and it's the Full Computer name, not description. Workgroup is also in the same page.)
ShareName = Name of the shared folder on your Windows PC (You have to right click on folders you want to transfer, click "Sharing and Security, and check "Share this folder on the network". The name in the textbox below is the ShareName.)

So for example, lets say you have a PC named "Bob" and a folder named "Stuff" which is enabled as a shared folder. You would enter "smb://Bob/Stuff" into the Server Address box.

The "smb://IPaddress/ShareName" is basically the same thing as above but using the IP address of the PC instead of its name. You would use this way if you can't find the PC using its name. To find the IP of the PC, open up command prompt and type "ipconfig".

Btw how's the 2.2ghz MBP?

QUOTE Thanks
hunkerpularama

hunkerpularama is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP SR 2.2GHz

thanks a lot for that, really helpful.
MBP is great, best laptop i have ever had.
the 8600GT is a great graphics chip and makes a real difference over the old ATi one.
It's a pity that Apple did not take full advantage of the SR chip features, such as Turbo memory, but it is still very fast.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I think I just got the BLACK screen of death... | Almost a switcher... »