Specs:
    15" MBP SR 2.2GHz
    Question Downloading Mac apps onto a PC
    Hi Guys,
    I have just got my MBP, but I will not be connecting it to the internet until September when I go back to school.
    I do have a PC connected to the internet at home *shock horror*, so could I download Mac apps, widgets, and stuff like that onto my PC and then transfer it onto my MBP?
    It would be great if this worked, but if it doesn't does anyone know of any other way of solving the problem?

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Yes, that will work. You just need to copy the files to Macs Hard Drive before you try and install them.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Is there any reason you can not plug the MBP into your network and get on the Internet with it?

I download Applications for OSX on PC's. It's just like any other download and transfer them over to a Mac with a Flash drive. For all the trouble though, just connect the MBP to the net.

Specs:
    15" MBP SR 2.2GHz
    thanks.
    can't wait to start....

Specs:
    15" MBP SR 2.2GHz
    my school is really picky about security and does not want a situation where a student could be connected to the internet through the school and privately, which could enable them to bypass school content filters, etc.
    Boring, i know, but that's life.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    You could also share your internet either from your PC to your Macbook, or vise versa.

I would just buy a cheap wireless router. I'm away at school the whole year but I bought a $10 wireless router for the random weekends/winter break/reading week when I am home so I can surf anywhere in the house.

Specs:
    Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
    Does that mean you could downlaod them onto a PC, burn to a data CD / DVD and install from there?

Specs:
    15" MBP SR 2.2GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
    You could also share your internet either from your PC to your Macbook, or vise versa.
    How would i do that?
    Please go easy on me, as i am new to OSX.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by vaughan80 View Post
    Does that mean you could downlaod them onto a PC, burn to a data CD / DVD and install from there?
    Yes. I have done it both ways, Windows software on the Mac and burned to a CD and read on the Windows machine and OSX Software on the Windows machine burned to a CD and read on the Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by hunkerpularama View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
    How would i do that?
    Please go easy on me, as i am new to OSX.
    It would be much easier to follow what visualpurple said and buy a cheap wireless router. The last time I tried to share a internet connection through ICS between an XP machine and a Mac was a nightmare, so I highly recommend against doing that unless I was doing something wrong.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Well, assuming you get your mac hooked up to your wired internet connection, you just go to 'system preferences> sharing> internet sharing' and select the ethernet connection as the device you want to share and the wireless connection as the device to share it through.

This will make your Mac act as a wireless access point that your PC can use to connect to and surf on (assuming your PC has a wireless card).

Sharing the internet connection of a PC with another computer is a bit trickier, but I'm sure you could find a tutorial on the net somewhere.

Specs:
    15" MBP SR 2.2GHz
    thanks for your help guys, i think i'll burn some CDs from my PC, which also means i have a back up of all the apps on my MBP.

Thread Information