New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Switching from PC to Mac and need advice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

herbiemac

herbiemac is on a distinguished road

I've been wanting a mac forever but just can't afford to get what I want. I'm asking you mac gurus for some help. I'm so tired of my pc that I can no longer stand it. I think it would be best to buy a used mac system to fit my budget for now.
Here's what I used my computer for. I'm very much into photo and video editing. I also like music as well. Apple's Garage Band sounds very interesting.
Anyway, what used machines out there would be good for my needs and still be a good value? Is there any to avoid? You guys and gals are my first step.
I'd appreciate any feedback.

Herbie
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Um...Switcher forum, not anything goes.

And www.apple.com

go to the store and look at the refurbished products.

That and the classified sections here or on any large apple forums.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbiemac View Post
I've been wanting a mac forever but just can't afford to get what I want. I'm asking you mac gurus for some help. I'm so tired of my pc that I can no longer stand it. I think it would be best to buy a used mac system to fit my budget for now.
Here's what I used my computer for. I'm very much into photo and video editing. I also like music as well. Apple's Garage Band sounds very interesting.
Anyway, what used machines out there would be good for my needs and still be a good value? Is there any to avoid? You guys and gals are my first step.
I'd appreciate any feedback.

Herbie
It might help if you tell us what your budget is. This way we can help you get the most "bang for your buck".

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
herbiemac

Well, ideally, I'd like to spend as little as possible. I'm not sure (used wise) what would be good to choose from so I'm not sure what they are going to cost me. How about $500 or less for a used system? Like I said, I'm totally new and you guys are my first stop.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, ideally, I'd like to spend as little as possible. I'm not sure (used wise) what would be good to choose from so I'm not sure what they are going to cost me. How about $500 or less for a used system? Like I said, I'm totally new and you guys are my first stop.
Does it need to be portable - or would a desktop suffice? $500 will buy you a fairly decent Mac mini, but I'm not sure how well that would suit your needs.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
herbiemac

Desk top will be fine. I can spend more but wanted to leave room to purchase software. Just give me some advice on what would be a good used buy and I can go from there.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

I would try a used iMac G4 (1Ghz or better), at least 512MB of RAM and a 40GB or better hard drive. You can upgrade the memory yourself fairly inexpensively and buy an external firewire hard drive for video editing chores. Keep in mind that this won't be a blazing fast system, but it should keep you around $500. Check out http://www.macofalltrades.com, they stock quite a few used, older systems.

QUOTE Thanks
leecho7

leecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram

Quick question with your photo and video editing needs herbie, how much and what kind of editing do you do? Cause if you're editing HD footage, you need a rig that costs way more than $500, unless your doing home movies and stuff like that.

Bismillah ihr Rhman ihr Raheem

The only way to truly learn and gain experience is from making mistakes.
Thats why I'm a friggin genius.
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Title27GT can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Um...Switcher forum, not anything goes.

And www.apple.com

go to the store and look at the refurbished products.

That and the classified sections here or on any large apple forums.
Are you a complete numbnutts? His post has EVERYTHING to do with the Switcher Forum.
QUOTE Thanks
killedbyinterne

killedbyinterne will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Title27GT View Post
Are you a complete numbnutts? His post has EVERYTHING to do with the Switcher Forum.
This thread was originally in the "Anything Goes" forum and was moved here. Its OK. Small misunderstanding.
QUOTE Thanks
herbiemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecho7 View Post
Quick question with your photo and video editing needs herbie, how much and what kind of editing do you do? Cause if you're editing HD footage, you need a rig that costs way more than $500, unless your doing home movies and stuff like that.
Well, just home video for now. I'd love to one day make the HD jump but I'm just a starving artist for now.
QUOTE Thanks
herbiemac

How about this one? What would be a fair offer?
http://tampa.craigslist.org/sys/363934492.html
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Why would the vendor mention pixels when the thing has a CRT?

There's no mention of system-install disks. Without them, you're up the creek when something goes wrong with the software.

OS 10.1 is buggy and unstable, and fewer and fewer OS X apps will run under it. Last I heard, OS 9 sells for $3 on ebay.
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Title27GT can only hope to improve

Quote:
I honestly doubt the OP lives in Tampa.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
It's a little high - and he's a little too vague about what versions of which software. I think you could do better from a company that sells refurbished, used Macs.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mom East coast Mac, me West coast PC | I WANT to switch to a Mac but... »