New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac memory - Crucial.com alternative?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

Hi everyone,
I am wanting to upgrade a future imac, i had a look on crucial.com but noticed the site is american. Does anyone know of a UK alternative that is as cheap, there is no way i'm paying apple's ram upgrade prices!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughan80 View Post
Hi everyone,
I am wanting to upgrade a future imac, i had a look on crucial.com but noticed the site is american. Does anyone know of a UK alternative that is as cheap, there is no way i'm paying apple's ram upgrade prices!
Try http://www.Crucial.com/uk to get to the UK branch of Crucial. Crucial is the retail division of Micron, which is an international company. You don't have to buy from them as Macs use the same memory as PCs, but they do offer a lifetime warranty, the memory is of the highest quality and they have very good customer service.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

Excellent. Thank you very much!
Is apple memory as easy to install as PC memory (imac)? One more thing, how many slots for ram does the current imac have?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is apple memory as easy to install as PC memory (imac)? One more thing, how many slots for ram does the current imac have?
In my experience, it is. Typically you would remove a cover plate (detailed in your manual) and plug the module(s) into a slot. The Crucial website will tell you exactly what type and how many slots your machine has.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Title27GT can only hope to improve

Quote:
Why ARE THERE SO MUCH BRITISH ON THESE GOL DARN FORUMS.

Anyways, you might be alarmed, but you have to completely remove the back of your iMac. I mean...you know...cut it in half. After that go straight for the RAM modules. Remove the current ones, and pop the new ones right in (and when I say pop I mean SHOVE them in because there's a lot of resistance). Personally, though, I would love to stop you from buying an iMac. I don't mean to overstep my boundaries, but they're basically laptops...that are unportable. The MacBook is just as powerful, and the MacBook Pro is twice as powerful. Oh well, its your choice.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Title27GT View Post
Isn't the point of web forums to be able to freely exchange information with people from all walks of life and nationalities? What a boring place it would be if it were just restricted to just the US.

Quote:
Anyways, you might be alarmed, but you have to completely remove the back of your iMac. I mean...you know...cut it in half. After that go straight for the RAM modules. Remove the current ones, and pop the new ones right in (and when I say pop I mean SHOVE them in because there's a lot of resistance). Personally, though, I would love to stop you from buying an iMac. I don't mean to overstep my boundaries, but they're basically laptops...that are unportable. The MacBook is just as powerful, and the MacBook Pro is twice as powerful. Oh well, its your choice.
It's not anywhere near that complicated. You simply remove the stand and a small cover and then insert the modules. Anyone can do it.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303084

QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Isn't the point of web forums to be able to freely exchange information with people from all walks of life and nationalities? What a boring place it would be if it were just restricted to just the US.

It's not anywhere near that complicated. You simply remove the stand and a small cover and then insert the modules. Anyone can do it.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303084
Oh, crap.
I removed the back half of mine.
Sheesh, something could of gone wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

Quote:
Oh, crap.
I removed the back half of mine.
Sheesh, something could of gone wrong.
Then you are an idiot and clearly xenophobic. In this day and age I expect people on like-minded forums to be accepting to each other. Do you see me complaining about how many americans are on forums? No.

prick.
QUOTE Thanks
Sandwichman

Sandwichman will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD

Quote:
I don't mean to overstep my boundaries, but they're basically laptops...that are unportable. The MacBook is just as powerful, and the MacBook Pro is twice as powerful. Oh well, its your choice.
The iMacs are, in some ways, MacBook Pros that are cheaper. Similar, if not larger, screens, similar memory cards (not the current ones, but a few months ago the MacBookPros and bottom of the line iMacs had the very same video cards- The Radeon Mobility X1600. The Macbook has NO video card at all- while a very capable machine, the trade-off for portability is either power or price. Want power and portability? MacBook Pro. Portability and price? MacBook. Price and power? iMac.

My two cents.

Sitting, waiting, wishing...
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

I am a clumsy oaf who, to be fair should not be trusted with a laptop. I have broken several before when using it "in the field" (screens, cracks etc..) Especially when i will be using it for editing video (i cannot afford a macpro, so i'll just have to make do with an imac). Because it's such an expensive purchase (and i'll be working from home) the imac makes sense.

I will be waiting for the new ones though.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Quote:
To help people improve their spelling and grammar. Why, do you have a problem with "so much British?"

Back on topic, I've been using Crucial for years, they are great. Both my Macs have Crucial RAM.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Quote:
Then you are an idiot and clearly xenophobic. In this day and age I expect people on like-minded forums to be accepting to each other. Do you see me complaining about how many americans are on forums? No.

prick.
Whoa whoa whoa. Look at the way I said it. Did it look mean? No, I was just making fun! Did I call you a name? No. Did I swear at you? No. After I made the comment, I went on to help you out like you asked. You need to sprout a sense of humor.
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
To help people improve their spelling and grammar. Why, do you have a problem with "so much British?"

Back on topic, I've been using Crucial for years, they are great. Both my Macs have Crucial RAM.
You people are absolutely rediculous! Has talking about computers for so long worn out your sense of humor. Anyone who thought I was serious after I used the word "gol darn" is a complete moron. Seriously.

And, CWA107, it was actually easer for me to remove the back plate of the iMac because I had a better angle on getting the RAM in there (also I was adding a new hard drive) plus I only had to undo 3 screws.
QUOTE Thanks
pirate pete

pirate pete is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3G Black Macbook 2.16ghz, 2gb, 160gb

now now, i think we all (Yanks and Brits) need to calm down, drink some tea, remember our 'special relationship' and mabye hand out some dictionaries...

i just upgraded my macbook to 2gb from 1gb this afternoon, via crucial in the UK.
service was outstanding, they even managed to get it to me over the weekend (royal mail strike did not affect their shipping)

hope your upgrade goes alright
proud to be British.
Pete
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Whoa whoa whoa. Look at the way I said it. Did it look mean? No, I was just making fun! Did I call you a name? No. Did I swear at you? No. After I made the comment, I went on to help you out like you asked. You need to sprout a sense of humor.
When you're typing, it's hard to relay/interpret the tone of your comments. I can see how that statement could be taken the wrong way, especially with it typed in all caps (which is the Internet equivalent of shouting).

Either way, I don't think you meant any harm, I would hope that you guys could just make peace here and move on.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Share my joy. | Safari Question »