New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

memory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ben_im

ben_im is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 2gb Ram

at work i may have open and switching between photoshop, indesign(sometimes cs1 and 2 and possibly 3 at the same time due to back saving issues), illustrator, acrobat, distiller, preps, prinergy evo, itunes, firefox and also working across servers.

at home i want to import photos, watch movies, dabble in some movie editing, use boot camp to run music recording software, use a wireless interenet connection and all the other basic stuff.

Just wondering if i will be better off paying for 4 gig instead of standard 2 in a macbook pro or would it be over kill?

thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_im View Post
at work i may have open and switching between photoshop, indesign(sometimes cs1 and 2 and possibly 3 at the same time due to back saving issues), illustrator, acrobat, distiller, preps, prinergy evo, itunes, firefox and also working across servers.

at home i want to import photos, watch movies, dabble in some movie editing, use boot camp to run music recording software, use a wireless interenet connection and all the other basic stuff.

Just wondering if i will be better off paying for 4 gig instead of standard 2 in a macbook pro or would it be over kill?

thanks in advance
If you're ordering it brand new, I would get it equipped with the least amount of memory possible and then upgrade it later from an aftermarket source like Crucial.com. It's a lot cheaper (sometimes half to a quarter of the price) and then you can have the machine for a little bit and run Activity Monitor to determine how much you actually need instead of speculating.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ben_im

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
upgrade it later.
is this fairly painless to do if i need to?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
is this fairly painless to do if i need to?
Yes. You just remove a cover on the bottom of your MacBook Pro and plug the memory modules into the two slots beneath it. It's so easy, a drunk monkey can do it

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ben_im

Quote:
If you're ordering it brand new, I would get it equipped with the least amount of memory possible and then upgrade it later from an aftermarket source like Crucial.com. It's a lot cheaper (sometimes half to a quarter of the price) and then you can have the machine for a little bit and run Activity Monitor to determine how much you actually need instead of speculating.
Quote:
Yes. You just remove a cover on the bottom of your MacBook Pro and plug the memory modules into the two slots beneath it. It's so easy, a drunk monkey can do it
ah great, I've had a bit of experience with my g4 which i'm using now at work so i should be fine but i wasn't aware macbooks had a similar level of accessibility.

thanks for the advice
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
I'm not a monkey but I was a little drunk the other night when I added the extra gb to my mbp.

Man that was almost a pain. It's sooooo easy but those screws are tiny. The threads don't even look long enough to screw into anything. I just had trouble with the last one. Other than that, I probably could have been absolutely trashed and did it. I think the hardest part was getting the bottom half of the Speck case off of it.

Ben im - Pretty much all modern notebooks are going to have extremely easy to access RAM slots and hard drives. You would need a dinosaur for something that's difficult to get to. I'm not sure if it was Toshiba or another brand, but you had to go through the keyboard to swap out the ram on it.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
melow71

melow71 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33ghz 2 Gb RAM 160GB 17" Glossy...

yea it is easy, newegg.com best place for price
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Title27GT can only hope to improve

Quote:

thanks in advance
With what you're going to do...trust me....2 gigs is already much more than you need. In fact, I would reccomend a MacBook Black but you've apparently made your decision already. 4 gigs is more than what most power users need. Don't overkill.
QUOTE Thanks
ben_im

Quote:
Originally Posted by Title27GT View Post
With what you're going to do...trust me....2 gigs is already much more than you need. In fact, I would reccomend a MacBook Black but you've apparently made your decision already. 4 gigs is more than what most power users need. Don't overkill.
my work is going to help me out with the cost so i figure i'll get a mac book pro, just because i can really.

i'd rather the pro due to the pure fact it i want to do some film rendering and protools with lots of effects later on i can, i'd like to dabble in it now but the G4 is only works computer and my home pc is getting a bit over the hill plus i just get enraged when using it, ha ha.

thanks also for the advice guys, i'm not going to bother with 4 gig anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
alaceo

alaceo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Title27GT View Post
Title27GT,
I think the MBP is the wiser choice here for the high amounts of graphic work he'll be doing, especially if he's interested in video editing. Macbooks will limit him to certain programs (iMovie, FCP Express), and the CPU will be doing more work due to utilizing the Intel integrated graphics. And with the MBP he'll get a bigger workspace, higher ram topout, nVidia video card, etc.
Just seems like a win

ben_im,
With that much going at once, if you want to keep your workflow streamlined and not abuse the RAM too much, 4gig wouldn't be too bad of an idea. I have 2gig myself and can run Photoshop CS2, Firefox, Safari, Adium, iTunes, and Smultron all at once and still not drain a whole lot, so I'm sure it'd do okay. However, I know how big of a resource hog Acrobat can be (at least the PC version was for me a year or two ago), and with that many graphic editors running you could probably use an extra boost.

If you do decide for 4GBs in the future, make sure to look around for the best deals.

Enjoy the MBP!
QUOTE Thanks
chiffonhead

chiffonhead is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 16GB iPhone, 17" iMac, 13" MacBook & 17" MacBook Pro

I have a question related to this and I know it may sound a little dumb, but I've never really understood the whole RAM/memory/GB thing. anyway, below are the stats of what my computer has and it seems low to me. I mainly use my computer for photos, iTunes (which is really large) and surfing and the occasional PS work. I'm scared I'm running out of room and I woud like to speed up my MacBook if possible.

under preferences it says:

Processor: 2GHz
Memory: 1.5GB

when I click on my drive it says I have 17.48GB available.

so, my question is...are those fairly average specs or is there something I should be aware of as far as room/space/speed/performance? thanks.

i will rise up with fists!!
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Title27GT can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonhead View Post
I have a question related to this and I know it may sound a little dumb, but I've never really understood the whole RAM/memory/GB thing. anyway, below are the stats of what my computer has and it seems low to me. I mainly use my computer for photos, iTunes (which is really large) and surfing and the occasional PS work. I'm scared I'm running out of room and I woud like to speed up my MacBook if possible.

so, my question is...are those fairly average specs or is there something I should be aware of as far as room/space/speed/performance? thanks.
Those are fine!
Very good for what you need to do, in fact.
QUOTE Thanks
killedbyinterne

killedbyinterne will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM

Quote:

I think the "17.48 GB available" actually means you're running out of room on your hard drive which has nothing to do with your processor or memory. Since your hard drive is so bogged down it might be causing slow performance.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:

It might help to understand what those numbers actually represent.

Your CPU (processor) is rated in GHz (gigahertz), that is the "clock" speed at which the processor can process data. Generally, the higher the number, the faster the CPU - although in recent years, CPU manufacturers have started to use other criteria to rate the performance of their CPUs.

Memory (RAM) is the area that programs need to be moved to in order for the CPU to actually run the program. It is rated in terms of either megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). There are 1024 MB in 1GB. So, if you have 1.5GB of memory, you actually have 1536MB of memory.

Your hard drive is where the data, programs and Operating System installed on your computer are stored. The size of your hard drive is rated in terms of capacity. Most modern computers have at least a 60GB hard drive. In your case, I can't tell how large your hard drive is, but I know that you have over 17GB of free space, which is fairly significant. To put it into terms you might be familiar with, the average 2 hour movie takes about 8GB of space. An average song (MP3) takes about 5MB (remember, 1024MB in 1GB, so you could theoretically store approximately 3400 songs in that space).

Does that make sense?

QUOTE Thanks
Sandwichman

Sandwichman will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD

Quote:
<snip> To put it into terms you might be familiar with, the average 2 hour movie takes about 8GB of space. <snip>
Excellent post, but I'm going to go ahead and disagree with the line I quoted above. A movie that length will be about 1.5GB when encoded (the raw video is much bigger, which may be where the "8GB" came from).

Sitting, waiting, wishing...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Memory upgrade question | Microsoft User Data Folder... go away! »