New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

BitTorrent help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joz

joz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac, 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1.5 MB RAM, ATI Radeon X1600 Video Card

Hey,

Just switched from PC to MAC and have been trying to download 'stuff' from torrents, limewire etc and have been having no luck (by that I mean nothing over 5k). I thought it may have been the fact I'm on Talk Talk and they restrict speed for P2P but it was fine on my PC, it seems to be only since ive moved to MAC that I'm having trouble.

It may be my ports but ive tried a lot of random ones and still had no luck
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by joz View Post
Hey,

Just switched from PC to MAC and have been trying to download 'stuff' from torrents, limewire etc and have been having no luck (by that I mean nothing over 5k). I thought it may have been the fact I'm on Talk Talk and they restrict speed for P2P but it was fine on my PC, it seems to be only since ive moved to MAC that I'm having trouble.

It may be my ports but ive tried a lot of random ones and still had no luck
Do you have a router? If so, you need to configure TCP and UDP ports 6881-6889 to port forward to your Mac's IP address. Then you'll see your download speeds increase. Also make sure that your client isn't restricting upload speed significantly - same for the number of client connections. The more you restrict, the less you can download.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
joz

Mac Specs: 17" iMac, 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1.5 MB RAM, ATI Radeon X1600 Video Card

Edit:

Ok ive found the correct section:

I have now opened the ports in Azureus, my firewall and my router and its still struggling to go faster than 1k.

This is killing me.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I don't have any experience with firewall configuration for P2P clients other than Bittorrent.

For Bittorrent, you need to open UDP and TCP ports 6881 through 6889 on your software firewall. You will also need to enable port forwarding on your router to forward traffic on those ports to your Mac's IP address.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
melow71

melow71 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33ghz 2 Gb RAM 160GB 17" Glossy...

dude, have you set the encryption file transfer option in connection?
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Title27GT can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by melow71 View Post
dude, have you set the encryption file transfer option in connection?
There's only room for one A-Rod Avatar around here, partner.
QUOTE Thanks
melow71

okay, so why don't you switch to bonds then...
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Quote:
okay, so why don't you switch to bonds then...
NO! You switch to Jeter!
QUOTE Thanks
melow71

dude, if it bothers you that much then I will switch!

Go YANKEES !
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Quote:
dude, if it bothers you that much then I will switch!

Go YANKEES !
I agree, GO YANKEES!
I was 3 rows behind the A's dugout on Friday Night. Moose pitched great.
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Back on topic, cause baseball is for sissies...lol. Anyway, are the ports open in the OS X firewall.
QUOTE Thanks
melow71

he said they were... the ports may not be the problem but rather a setting issue in preferences... although that is only speculation
QUOTE Thanks
joz

I have set my port to 6881 in Azurues, Bits on Wheels, Bittorrent and xTorrent so its not application specific (ive also checked the box for encrypted data). I have opened my firewall settings and made a new entry which includes port 6881 named Torrents. I have also entered 6881 in the port section of my router software as pictured above.

Theres rumours my ISP limits P2P usage until 1am so Ill have to see what its like after than but I think its a problem with my settings.
QUOTE Thanks
melow71

change your port from 6881 to something in 40000 -60000 i have always have settings in that range... there is a classfication range for the port numbers but i don't remember what they are..
QUOTE Thanks
joz

tried something in the mid 50,000 range and still no luck.

This is what I'm experiencing...

It is seeing seeders and peers but just isn't connecting to them, and when it is is getting no speed whatsoever. My faces are just going from green to yellow to red randomly.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video chat | Just switched and a few questions... »