New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

can't remove item from trash

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lindarpul

lindarpul is on a distinguished road

item won't delete from trash - message says - the item cannot be completed because the item "FMStrs.dis" is locked - when I go to 'get info' it show as being unlocked. is an application 2.6mb the application is Store House 1.0 21-46-20 and was originally downloaded as a widget but never worked now I can't get rid of it! Grrrrrr! Any advice would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106272

(quick summary: try holding down the option key as you empty the trash.)
QUOTE Thanks
WhiteNoiseMaker

WhiteNoiseMaker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2.0GHz CD | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive | iPod 3G 20GB

I have a problem with the Trash too. Sometimes when I start the MacBook there is an item in the trash that I didn't put there! It's a folder that says "Recovered Items" with about 9 other folders inside (I'll try and do a screen grab next time it happens). I've deleted this folder a few times but it randomly comes back! Any ideas what's causing this to happen?
QUOTE Thanks
_humfy

_humfy will become famous soon enough

I tend to get the Recovered Files thing when something's crashed or I haven't shut down properly. I just delete it.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, lindarpul.

That Apple article linked to in technologist's post covers a lot of workarounds.

If you still can't get it to work, you might want to try this.

And recovered files don't always happen when the Mac hasn't been shut down properly or an app crashed: its lazy programming in most cases. Some apps (Quark 7 immediately comes to mind) will not purge their temp files upon quitting the app: these temp files will only purge themselves when the Mac either restarts or is shut down and then booted again.
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

I have this sitting right next to my trash, works great.http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17841
QUOTE Thanks
lindarpul

lindarpul is on a distinguished road

THKS technologist -the option key worked!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« black macbook | How much of an improvement is Santa Rosa? »