New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Upgrade G4 powerbook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crlvgchick21

crlvgchick21 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2004 PowerBook G4

I own a powerbook G4 right now.... It was the most amazing thing I had ever got my hands when it was new, but I just bought a new HP Laptop and it is doing circles around my poor G4. I would have to say even being new to mac .... you will like it but it does take a few months to get used to if you are a long time PC user. I would say it's more trouble than its worth right now to get the old one ...you spend too much moeny on software and hardware to get it to run the stuff you need. I can hardly browse the internet with mine without downloading some new update! If I had the choice I would say get the new macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
crlvgchick21

Ok I'm new to this forum and I cant figure out how to post a question .....so maybe somebody reading this one can help me. As stated in my response to this guys question. I own a Powerbook G4 ..... the problem is that I cant view half of the sites on the internet these days it's so outdated. Will buying OS X Tiger solve my problem....what stuff would help upgrade it to run the programs etc.
QUOTE Thanks
crlvgchick21

I have a Powerbook G4 that cant even open most internet websites. It has all the original software on it. Can I get Mac Os X Tiger? Will that update the whole operating system enough to run everything?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

What is the speed of the G4 and how much RAM do you have? I have a 1Ghz G4 iBook that runs Tiger just fine with 768Mb of RAM.

QUOTE Thanks
crlvgchick21

Um good question....dont know actually. I am at work so I dont have it with me to check.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Check when you can.

Tiger should run just fine on your machine and you can upgrade the whole Operating System.

QUOTE Thanks
crlvgchick21

Ok cool, is there different versions of Tiger? I was looking on Ebay and someone mentioned something about a DVD version? Is there anything specific I should look for?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Tiger is sold as a DVD set (2 DVDs IIRC). Nothing special otherwise. The DVDs will install whatever 10.4.X version is on there, then once you get online the System Update will go out and find any newer updates that you need and will ask to install them. Let it.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« When the need/time comes, what to do about HDD Replacement? | .HQX file. How can I open this »