New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How much of an improvement is Santa Rosa?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

am17

am17 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 120GB Hard Drive, 2GB memory

Hi! I'm going to be a college student in the fall, and I want to buy a mac. The Macbook seems to be sufficient for my needs, but I'm wary of buying "less-advanced" technology than is currently available. My largest concern regards the fact that the MBP's have the new Santa Rosa chip, while MB's don't. How big of a deal is this? Does it make the MBP worth it over the MB, or is the difference minimal?

Money is not really a major concern. I like the keyboard and size of the MB's better, but I'd give that up for a Pro if the differences are worth it. Thanks for any help!
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

I'd probably go with the MacBook if I were you. The MacBook Pro has a bigger screen, a backlit keyboard, a dedicated graphics card, and the newer chipset. The Pros are faster than the MBs, that's true, but if the cheaper computer will suit your needs well enough, then go for that one. I only bought my MBP because I wanted the opportunity to occasionally do gaming if I felt like it, and I prefer the bigger screen. For the typical college kid stuff though, like music, movies, Word, etc. a MacBook is perfectly fine, IMHO.
QUOTE Thanks
am17

am17 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 120GB Hard Drive, 2GB memory

Thanks! I think I'll go with the Macbook instead of the MBP.

My next question, should I upgrade to 2GB RAM, or is 1GB enough? I only plan on doing basic things - surfing the internet, typing documents, watching an occasional movie. I'll certainly upgrade if it's recommended, but would I notice any improvement at all?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

2 gig is useful if you have 5 or 6 applications open at a time and frequently need to switch between them. For your purposes, a gig should be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Go for 2 Gig. Memory is so cheap these days (not apple's though)... You can launch far more apps with 2GB, work with larger photoshop files (though I'm not sure its advisable on a 13 inch screen ....the overall speed will improve with 2GB.
QUOTE Thanks
elbolao23

elbolao23 is on a distinguished road

you can get a 2gb kit for macbook for 80 dollars at dealram.com

QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Title27GT can only hope to improve

The novelty of the 2gb RAM upgrade wears off pretty quickly.
The first day its pretty snappy, you start making stupid little movies of you opening up every freaking application on the computer. Even then I was a little dissapointed because I had done that a few times with 1gb RAM and there wasn't a huge speed difference. Still it's cool and all. After a while though you begin to realize that it's other stuff slowing down your computer, not just RAM. That's why I downloaded Onyx and I use it like once a week, makes my Mac like new again.
QUOTE Thanks
physco827

physco827 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz 2gb DDR2 8600gt w/ 128mb vram

I'm in the same situation as you. But I am going into engineering and will need to use the graphical power of the Macbook Pro for autodesk applications in bootcamp. To me it depends on the major your going into. If you are doing business or accounting you know something like that then the macbook will be MORE than you need. If your a pc user 2gb of ram on vista is NOT the same as 2gb of ram in os x. In os x its rediculous, in vista it makes you want more memory.

So if your major doesn't require graphical applications go with the Macbook because it will be great for you. But if you need the graphics for heavy apps in graphical use then go with the Macbook Pro.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can't remove item from trash | how do i check for dead pixel? »