Specs:
    Powerbook G4, 1.5ghz, 512mb ram, 80 Gig HD with Superdrive....
    What do I delete after installing dmgs?
    Ok...Download a dmg install file for say quicksilver online. I think i`m confused how to install etc cause i`m getting shortcuts and when I go to delete the dmg some programs don`t work. What am I doing wrong? What should be deleted? What is the proper way to install these programs? I know it says drag program to Apps folder. I do that, then deleted the dmg and poof doesn`t work...

Specs:
    Mac's
    download the .dmg from the web... it will (most likely) automaticly mount the Image, and open a finder window...

Click+Drag the QS application icon and drop it in your Applications folder.

Now Highlight (select) both the .dmg, and the mounted image (looks like a drive usually) and drag them both to the trash... the Trash can will turn into and Eject Icon.. that is what it is supposed to do.

Now... go back into your applications folder and double click the QS icon.

EDIT:
    Here is a youtube video I made on how to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPOe1_dxz88

Specs:
    ok i`ll try it out and see what I was doing wrong. If all goes well you won`t hear from me =)

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Perhaps it would be helpful to understand what a DMG file is in the first place?

A DMG file is a "disk image". When you open it, Mac OS pretends like you've just popped a disk into a drive. Typically from this point you would drag the application that is stored on the disk into your Applications folder to install it. When you're done, you eject the virtual disk, by dragging it into your trash can and then delete the DMG file since you no longer need it.

Does that make sense?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Perhaps it would be helpful to understand what a DMG file is in the first place?

A DMG file is a "disk image". When you open it, Mac OS pretends like you've just popped a disk into a drive. Typically from this point you would drag the application that is stored on the disk into your Applications folder to install it. When you're done, you eject the virtual disk, by dragging it into your trash can and then delete the DMG file since you no longer need it.

Does that make sense?
    Best example of what a DMG file is and how it works that I have heard to date.

Specs:
    Id sure say so..Who knew cookie monster was so educated in cookies and mac computers. As for that other guy with him in the pic, well....

It may be that the disk image inside the compressed, downloaded file is mistaken for the application if it isn't made clear that two files must be opened first, and that the app to be dragged is the third file.

This error can be compounded when the person whose setup automatically opens the compressed file speaks of only one file that must be opened, or doesn't mention it at all if the computer opens the compressed file and the disk image, as well.

In either case, the disk-image-drive icon becomes synonymous with the app inside it and neither party realizes it with the image file containing the app being dragged into the Applications folder.

Thread Information