New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MBP camera

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

otjatt

otjatt is on a distinguished road

just a quick question, is the webcam in macs supposed to be for video as well or just still photos? I am asking this because I cant seem to find an option in msn messenger on my mbp that lets me start a video conversation.
QUOTE Thanks
visualpurple

visualpurple has a spectacular aura about

MSN messenger for Mac doesn't support video conversations... it's Microsoft's fault, not Apple's... I think that the only MSN client for Mac that lets you do video is aMSN
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Visual Purple is right on the money. aMSN is the only client that will give ya the WebCam Support for MSN. The Microsoft Version is Crappy and very watered down.
QUOTE Thanks
elbolao23

elbolao23 is on a distinguished road

so what u are saying is that the camara that comes with any mac will not work on a video conversation over msn messenger...????????? Im not gonna be able to talk to my windows buddy over msn with the camara? wtf?!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Not unless you're running Windows.

As was explained, Microsoft hasn't added video support to the official Mac version of the MSN client.

Alternatives: The unofficial aMSN client
Or use a different video chat application, such as Skype or Aim.
QUOTE Thanks
kman79

kman79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.4GHz MBP

I've been able to chat with other people who are using MSN on their windows machine by using aMSN. You have to make sure the port that aMSN is using is open though.
QUOTE Thanks
otjatt

otjatt is on a distinguished road

hmm. is aMSN very similar to the official msn in terms of features etc? and also, are you talking about the port in my router that needs to be open?
QUOTE Thanks
Justin_P

Justin_P is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD, 8600M GT, iPod Classic 80Gb

Mercury MSN supports iSight too.
QUOTE Thanks
Surreality

Surreality will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman79 View Post
You have to make sure the port that aMSN is using is open though.
How do you do this?
QUOTE Thanks
kman79

kman79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.4GHz MBP

Sorry for the late responses guys.

What exact features were you looking for with the messenger app? I used to use MSN Messenger all the time when I was running windows, and aMSN has all the features I used. I'm not sure how heavy of an MSN messenger you are, but it does the nudges and it does the smiles, video does work on it.

I was referring to actual port on your router. You would have to look up how to do this for your particular router. For linksys routers you would go to 192.168.1.1 and login and then proceed to porforwarding, it would be under gaming and applications I believe. On aMSN go to preferences and then connections. Under file transfer, peer to peer and nat settings, there's a port option, make sure that port is open by portforwarding it to a port you opened.

Before I opened that port for aMSN all the recipient would see is a black screen.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll help you out if I can.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A way to convert Mac .txt files to Windows .txt files | Any startup/processes tweaks in OS X similar to that in Windows? »