New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I'm not a student...but my friend is!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

analogboy

analogboy is on a distinguished road

So as the title states, I am currently not a student, but one of my very good friends is attending University. Can I order a MBP online and use his student ID to get the student discount? It just seems like too good of a deal to pass up. Also, which is better, 15" or 17" MBP? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

They dont check for anything online for a student id. You can basically pick a school and pretend to go there. I would look into the refurbs if I were you though, better discount, great product.
QUOTE Thanks
techmonkey

techmonkey is on a distinguished road

Ditto on XMARLTONX comment. I bought a new MBP last week thru the EDU store, and it never asked me for any proof. I planned on using my wifes info, since she is going to school, but Apple never asked for it.
QUOTE Thanks
elbolao23

elbolao23 is on a distinguished road

i heard that they check with school system to see if the name is on there,and if its not thay charge u the difference or ask for thier discount money back and charged to ur card
QUOTE Thanks
techmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbolao23 View Post
i heard that they check with school system to see if the name is on there,and if its not thay charge u the difference or ask for thier discount money back and charged to ur card
LOL. Where did you hear that at?
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Quote:
I can't speak for anyone else here, but before I went back to school, I ordered several Apple edu-discounted products from the online store; none of them got "re-poed" in any shape, way, or form, even though I spoofed a school.

Of course, now I have nothing to worry about, back in school and all.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Technically let your friend buy the Macbook and then give it to you as a "gift". You then give him the unrelated "gift" of the price of the Macbook. That way legally, you're clear.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
pastorjay

pastorjay is on a distinguished road

While were at it, can we talk about how to scam other businesses as well?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorjay View Post
While were at it, can we talk about how to scam other businesses as well?
Indeed. There's a name for this: Fraud.
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Quote:

DATA PROTECTION ACT - They can not check without your permission.
QUOTE Thanks
JamesyD

JamesyD is on a distinguished road

Hi, I know this is a fairly old thread, but don't really know the netiquette yet about when to start a new thread.

Was just wondering, if someone did buy the mac with a discount and passed it on to a friend, then what if something goes wrong? I mean, would the mac be 'registered' in the student's name, and therefore it's only the student that can get a refund or an upgrade or anything like that?

I guess what I'm trying to ask, in a rather convoluted manner, is can the student just give the computer to the non-student after payment?
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Non-ethical as it may be (if it is at all)...as long as your friend doesn't open it and turn it on, it's not registered to him/her. If you're the one who completes the initial setup and registration with your info, you're the one the warranty applies to.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Is it really fraud? If your child gets a discounted meal in a restaurant, you're not allowed to have a chicken finger? Nevermind... that was a really stupid comparison.
QUOTE Thanks
techmonkey

Like I said before, Apple doesnt check if you are a student. Even though my wife is a student, I did everything under my name. Has anyone ever been asked if they were a student?
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

I had to show a current Student I.D. when I bought my MacBook last year at the Apple store... But if you do it online, there's no proof neessary.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buy Now - Leopard Upgrade Later? | HELP me dump the POS known as AOL! »