New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What CAN I Do?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

octaviooo

octaviooo is on a distinguished road

Well i'm 99.94% sure i will have a macbook by the middle of august, so i figured i have no use for my Dell anymore. The only problem is, is that i bought my Dell in December for about $750, so i'm not just looking to give it away or sell it cheap because i want to get my money's worth. Does anyone have any advice to what i can do with it to not be wasting the money i spent on it?

-Sam
QUOTE Thanks
mck_tj05

mck_tj05 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD

use it as a paper weight.

no in all seriousness... you could sell it on ebay. my friend recently sold a computer that he's had for some time on ebay for something like $1200. granted it was a very nice system, but you can set a reserve if you dont get what you want on ebay. or keep it for gaming so you dont have to go buy parallels and another copy of windows or something.
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

I'd use it to play with other OSs. There are several UNIX and Linux versions that claim to be for the average home user (PC-BSD, Freespire, etc). I'd see just how far they can go with that claim and nothing would be better than using on a common system such as Dell. Plus, you can learn a great deal along the way without blowing up your "real/production/needed" machine.

Personally, I've had issues with all of the "easy" distros, mainly due to missing/incompatible drivers, especially for WiFi.
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

Run GeexBox on it and use it as a media player, connect it to a TV and Amp and you're set.

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

ebay it. its time with you has come

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

if you don't use it to play with another OS, and/or to use as a server then i'm with kgeier...

ebay (or craigslist!)

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

I'd also use it to try out some form of Linux. Or sell it for money towards an iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
Sandwichman

Sandwichman will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD

Yeah, if I had a relatively-capable PC laying around I would install Linux/use for gaming. If those don't interest you, and you don't need a home server or whatever, sell it and get some $ back!

Sitting, waiting, wishing...
QUOTE Thanks
WindowsMaster

WindowsMaster is an unknown at this point

I know what you could do. If you are so poisoned with Mac propaganda why don't you just use Dream Linux on your superior Dell. Dream Linux is exactly the same as OSX (Basically Apple stole the Linux architecture and sold it as OSX which is a complete contradiction of what Linux is about).
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsMaster View Post
I know what you could do. If you are so poisoned with Mac propaganda why don't you just use Dream Linux on your superior Dell. Dream Linux is exactly the same as OSX (Basically Apple stole the Linux architecture and sold it as OSX which is a complete contradiction of what Linux is about).
BAN! This guy is here to hate on apple and **** people off.

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
octaviooo

octaviooo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yeah you are so right, that is why this is the first time i have heard of Dream Linux

great advice ****head
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octaviooo View Post
Well i'm 99.94% sure i will have a macbook by the middle of august, so i figured i have no use for my Dell anymore. The only problem is, is that i bought my Dell in December for about $750, so i'm not just looking to give it away or sell it cheap because i want to get my money's worth. Does anyone have any advice to what i can do with it to not be wasting the money i spent on it?

-Sam
I'd keep it for awhile, at least until you're reasonably sure the Mac is for you. It works, right? If you've never owned a Mac, you might want to keep the Dell as a backup of sorts. When you get the MacBook, use it exclusively and return to the Dell only when you need to do it. That way you get into the Mac, but still have the proverbial safety net of a computer that does the things you need it to do.

Maybe you'll never use the Dell once you get the MacBook. Alternatively maybe you'll want to return to a Windows machine. If you get rid of the Dell and a month later decide the Mac isn't for you, then you have the problem of getting another PC.

Just my two bits.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
leon1878

leon1878 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 1.83GHz, 1.25GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, ipod 30GB Video

Quote:
Before you ban this confused person, you should post his email address, haha.
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You have some of your...uh..."facts" wrong.

In 1985 when Steve Jobs was "released" from Apple, he started NeXT, a computer company that built NEXTSTEP - an object-oriented OS built from BSD UNIX. During the years after that Apple struggled to produce a new/working OS (they didn't simply want to update System 9). When Jobs returned to Apple, he got them to buy NeXT and Apple used that OS as the base for Mac OS X. None of this has any thing to do with Linux.

I love Linux in the corporate world, but for home use it's still not ready. There are far too many devices not supported in Linux (and I blame the device makers for not providing drivers).

As far as "stealing" - all the Linux/UNIX systems have their roots in AT&T's UNIX from the 1960s, so they are all "guilty of stealing" as you might say.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Personally, I'd keep it. Use it to play Windows games - or use it as a media server (or a plain old file server for that matter). There's no reason a Windows machine and a Mac can't complement one another.

Another good point raised here is running Linux. Throw a copy of Ubuntu on it and learn something new.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for a firewall that notifys of outgoing traffic | A couple burning questions from a potential mac buyer... »