New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

password protection question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JBPdog

JBPdog is on a distinguished road

Hey!
Im a newb and I have a question.
Is there a way to put a password protection feature on the computer like when it boots up, it will ask you for your password before it starts up?
Also, Is there a way to put password protection on your computer for a particular file or folder? Like the folder 'my documents' will be password protected?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Hi JPBdog.....I'm not sure about the passwords but I'm sure there is. I just found this in Apple support so have a read

http://search.info.apple.com/?search...pe=&q=password

As for folders I use a program called Hide Folders

http://www.altomac.com/download/index.php

It is very good. It has password protection as well as making the folders invisible.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

You know you can just create a disk image using Disk Utility, which will act like a folder. Then you pick the size or the amount of space you want the folder to hold, and then add an encryption, PRESTO! A password-protected .dmg file that will mount with the password! The only downside is that you have to pick a pre-determined space limit, but isn't that big of a pain if your just using it for excel sheets such as banking like I do.
QUOTE Thanks
bmcgonag

bmcgonag will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram

When you boot, you can set it to require login.

Goto System Preferences>>Accounts>> and then in there you can adjust your account settings to require login at boot.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any other BT Mouse to consider besides the Apple Mighty Mouse? | Newly Converted Mac Lover »